There are various types of bikes for different styles of biking, such as mountain, road, downhill and BMX. I already know a lot about mountain biking because I’ve been doing it for most of my life. I also know a little about BMX biking because I owned one when I was younger. However, I don’t know much about road and downhill biking. I would like to learn more about the bikes specific to these styles particularly because I want to join a downhill biking team this summer.

According to Dirt, a biking magazine, the best material to use for a mountain bike frame is either aluminum or carbon. Aluminum alloys have been used for a longer time in history. A certain type of alloy called 6061 is specifically used because it is easy to weld. Carbon fibre is easier to mold into shapes. In the past, carbon fibre was very delicate, easily broken, and was very expensive. Although these characteristics still hold true to a certain degree today, companies are putting in great effort to better the quality and lower the cost of carbon fibre bikes.
According to Bicyclebluebook.com, it isn’t necessary to own a carbon fibre bike unless someone is racing in a competition. In recent years, the price of carbon fibre composites has lessened, but it still more expensive than aluminum and steel bikes. Metal alloys are more durable and give better impact resistance, but if the bikes were to become damaged, it is generally less expensive to repair a carbon fibre frame.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Carbon Fibre vs. Aluminum Online Research by Anna is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.