Being a superpower, the US is the leader in policymaking for our world. As a result, our nation have been involved in so many world affairs, like in Syria, Iraq, global economy, terrorism, and more. However, should we be sticking our noses into the affairs of foreigners across the globe, is it a benefit, and in what ways should we be involved in foreign affairs? Those questions interest me.

According to the article titled “”, a majority of Americans hold negative views on US involvement in foreign affairs, with skepticism about our country’s engagement. Through surveys, they discovered that 53% believed the US is now holding “a less important and powerful role as a world leader” than ten years ago and 52% says that our nation should “mind its own business”. While support for international engagement are lower, the support for US involvement in the global economy is still high. For example, 66% believe more involvement in the global economy opens up new markets and opportunities for growth.

Peter Hizikes, a staff writer for MIT news, wrote his view on this matter. According to one of his articles,  our goal of spreading liberal democracy hasn’t worked very well, most notably our intervention in Iraq and Afghanistan to pursue that goal. Our goal should be to limit nuclear weapons around the world through methods like sanctions, limit the capabilities of terrorist groups, and share a more balanced geopolitical power with other nations.

Photo by The U.S. Army

CC BY-SA 4.0 Americans’ View on Our Nation’s Global Involvement by Dave is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.