Animal testing is immoral and should be eliminated. In our modern society animal testing has become obsolete, and there are many new promising replacements. Texas A&M University is helping to test tissue chips, which would be an alternative to human and animal testing. The tissue chips are tiny bioengineered systems that mimic the organs and tissues of the human body. They are designed to test the safety and efficiency of drugs. Ivan Rusyn, PhD, MD, professor of veterinary integrative biosciences at the university says that the chips “may improve our ability to ensure that a drug is safe before clinical trials begin and could ultimately replace drug testing in humans and animals” (Irish University Review). The National Institutes of Health’s National Center for Advancing Translational Science (NCATS) has even given the university a $4.2 million dollar grant to continue their research. This money will help test and validate the devices and compare them to similar chips being developed at other universities and companies. These chips could even be more effective than animal testing. Researchers hope the tissue chips will serve to more accurately imitate whole human tissues and organs. This is a very promising new field of research, that could eliminate animal testing altogether.

“‘Tissue chips’ may become alternative to animal testing.” Irish University Review: a journal of Irish Studies, vol. 47, no. 12, 2016, p. 15. Literature Resource Center, go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?p=LitRC&sw=w&u=salt89600&v=2.1&id=GALE%7CA481243979&it=r&asid=52f35d5b429278b76159a1f409a4b15f. Accessed 28 Feb. 2017.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Alternatives to Animal Testing by Mae is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Elizabeth P. 8 months ago

Dear Mae :
    I am interested by your post “Alternatives to Animal Testing” because I have never liked the idea of Animal testing. I have never seen the difference between animal cruelty and testing. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “ Texas A&M University is helping to test tissue chips, which would be an alternative to human and animal testing. ” I think this is wonderful because I believe that Animal testing and animal cruelty are essentially the same. In both cases, animals can get seriously hurt, or even killed, for the sake of the human race. Another sentence that I enjoyed was: “ The National Institutes of Health’s National Center for Advancing Translational Science (NCATS) has even given the university a $4.2 million dollar grant to continue their research.” This stood out for me because I think it is truly amazing that people are taking the next steps towards happiness for animals. Animals bring people so much joy, but this testing is hurting the delicate creatures of the wild. Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. The day I got my first pet, she was an all black cat. That day I did a bit if research on animals and found out that on halloween, black cats are often burned due to their rumoured bad luck. Also, out of animal tested cats, they are the most often tested on. To me, these two seem like the same thing. Either way,people believe no one will miss these creatures. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I feel very passionate about animal testing and think that it is truly wonderful that anyone would decide to help fight against this testing by trying to solve the problem that brings us to this cruelty. I hope to read about more alternatives or maybe some changes in the future.

2. Jasmin 2 years ago

Dear Mae,
    I 100% agree with you that animal testing should stop. This tissue chip will hopefully decrease the number of animals harmed in laboratory testing. Animals have rights too even though they can’t fight for them like we do. One thing that stood out to me was “These chips could even be more effective than animal testing. ” This stood out to me because if the chips do turn out to be more accurate than animal testing, then it will be a win win situation for both humans and animals. This will help us because new medications might be found without harming any living thing. I am looking forward to what you post next. Thank you for your post.

3. Nikki 2 years ago

Thank for writing this article, I have never heard of tissue chips before. This seems like a great alternative to animal testing and I hope to see companies use this method in the future.