There is much concern about ecological consequences of night time light pollution. There are five main management techniques for decreasing artificial light pollution. They are: preventing areas from being artificially lit, limiting the duration of lighting, reducing the personas of lighting into areas that are not intended to be lit, changing the intensity of lighting, and changing the spectral composition of lighting. Maintaining and increasing natural unlit areas is likely to be the most effective option for combating light pollution.
One method of doing this is through projects like the Dark Sky Initiative. Their mission is working to protect the night skies for present and future generations. The worlds first academic center specific to the issue of dark skies has been announced at the University of Utah. “The Consortium for Dark Sky Studies will be dedicated to discovering, developing, communicating, and applying knowledge pertaining to the quality of the night skies.”

Sources:
“Reducing the ecological consequences of night time light pollution: options and developments”
“Intentional dark sky association”

CC BY-SA 4.0 How to fight against light pollution by Olivia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Heidi 8 months ago

I love this topic! i’m very passionate about protecting and preserving the environment. i love how you made this local; it made the issue feel more important. keep up the good work!