In my recent research into medical waste and its impact on the Earth’s environment I looked to the EBSCO databases for help. According to Environmental Health Perspectives in an article in 2012 they talked about the ways in which we can reduce the medical waste we put into our environment. In a study “at the University of Western Ontario measured the waste from total knee replacements in Canadian hospitals and found this procedure alone produced about 450 tons of waste over the period 2008-2009”. The majority of medical waste comes from procedures like this that take place in operating rooms or the labor and delivery unit. We can reduce the amount of waste can be reduced by sorting through OR materials and managing Biohazards materials.

1. Jimmy 3 years ago

Abi,
    I agree with your idea of cleaning up waste from medical procedures. Materials used during surgery can be quite dangerous to people who may come by them such as needles. The amount of trash collected from these procedures is astounding as I feel a good amount of material can be reused, but we instead just throw it away. Creating a system of recycling materials used in medical procedures could greatly decrease the waste we put into the environment and money used to replace materials.