While doing my final research on Utah’s Online Library, because my topic is rather peculiar/specific, only 6 articles/resources appeared. The National Wildlife Federation kicked off Wildlife Nation. It is used as a way to reach kids and their parents through social media and inspire them to explore the outdoors. It is a collaborative site that allows people in the local area to share information and ideas of exploration of the outdoors. ‘ “It’s about making a space where people can connect and become part of something bigger and more powerful than themselves, and today the best way is through social media,” Lentz [director of education and conservation programs at NWF’s Great Lakes Regional Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan] says. “We want people to have a sense of belonging and camaraderie in shaping outdoor experiences and lore about wildlife while helping to create the next generation of conservationists.” ‘. Wildlife Nation is a perfect example of how social media can inspire outdoor awareness and recreation, especially in youth. This site creates an arena in which youth from all over the country (and potentially the world) can collaborate, share tips, ideas, and inspire one another. The other great option that this program provides is the opportunity to create focus and awareness groups, or just to meet new people and experience the outdoors together.

Sites and other social media like National Wildlife display how we can use modern technology to our advantage to spark interest in  youth and motivate them to experience nature to its fullest extent.

SHARP, ERIC. “Networking for Wildlife.” National Wildlife (World Edition), vol. 52, no. 3, Apr/May2014, pp. 12-14. EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=95129477&site=ehost-live.

CC BY-SA 4.0 How Social Media can spread Outdoor Awareness : EBSCO by Chloe is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Marcus 9 months ago

Chloe,

Good job on your research ! I strongly can see that very soon, our techs will be connect within us in order to help spread awareness. Is a big jump for the usage of technology! And since a big chunk of the population is connected 24/7 on their techs, it would be helpful and very very fast!

Thank you for bringing that topic, very interesting.

Marcus.

2. Anwesha 9 months ago

Dear Chloe:

I am amazed by your post, “How Social Media can spread Outdoor Awareness : EBSCO” because I find it surprising how much influence social media has on people today. I agree that if something is on social media, it is more likely to get attention.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is, “While doing my final research on Utah’s Online Library, because my topic is rather peculiar/specific, only 6 articles/resources appeared.” I think this is relatable because when students are looking for homework answers, they usually find very few articles/resources that answer a specific question.

Another sentence that I liked was: “It is used as a way to reach kids and their parents through social media and inspire them to explore the outdoors.” This stood out for me because it shows that it’s not only kids that need to explore the outdoors, it’s the adults too.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time my parents kept saying that I use my phone way too much. They said I should look for fun places to go and explore. Wildlife Nation is a great way to do that.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you seem to know a lot about how social media affects the world today, and social media is an interesting topic.