To the YV community, this is my response to the Warm-Up for English class today. We are studying Shakespeare’s Othello and exploring the theme of appearance versus reality.

***************************

Dear Ms. Paraiso,

I just found out I’m going to have to drop out. Last week I was talking to Ms. Martindale, and I was told that I didn’t have enough credits to graduate. I also found out that I have to make up many classes, and I feel like I’m unable to make them up in just one semester. I hope that you can understand the circumstance and why I feel like I have to drop out. I have already talked to my parents and they understand as well, they just hope I will start to work and learn how to take responsibilities by getting a job. I promise that I will come back and visit you, you have done so much for me and I appreciate it, and I am very grateful to have met you. Another reason why I would come back is to come talk to your current students, and lower classmen who are currently making bad choices, I would like to talk to them about the consequences about their actions. I hope you won’t be disappointed about my decision.

Valeria Fernandez

CC BY-SA 4.0 Don’t Open this Letter, Ms. P. by Valeria is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Tala 10 months ago

Hi Valeria,
    I am very sorry to hear about your predicament. However, I admire the way that you are approaching this problem and acknowledging what you have to do to solve it. Just from reading what you wrote, I can tell that you have a very bright future ahead of you. Keep on writing and I hope everything works out well!

Good luck with everything,
    Tala

2. Andre 10 months ago

Valeria,
    I am very sorry to hear that you have to drop out. I wish you the best in finding a job and all of the responsibilities that you will take on. Try to find job that you really like and work your way up from the bottom. Good luck, i hope you can tell younger students your story and persuade them to make good choices.

Good Luck,
    Andre

3. Marcus 10 months ago

Valeria,

I am sorry that you ended up dropping out. But hey, life is like a roller coaster, with up and downs, and specially when the “down” comes, you need to stay strong and be positive. All your strength will raise you from this situation. You should definitely use this situation as a motivation to your future and always remember, with negative situation, a positive one always will come!

Stay Strong!
    Marcus

4. Luca 10 months ago

Dear Valeria,

I’m sorry to hear that you are dropping out. I honestly wish you all the best in all your future endeavors. I hope you will be able to teach younger students to not do bad choices. Tell them that it is important to stay focused on the work they have to do. It does not mean they can’t have fun as well but that to succeed in our society we have to learn.
    Again I want to tell you that life doesn’t end here. If you strive to do something. You can get to a better and happier place.

Luca

5. Dawn 10 months ago

Valeria,
    I’m a teacher in Michigan. I’m very sorry to hear about your situation. As a teacher, I know we strive to help our students find success. Success looks different for everyone. It sounds like Ms. P has inspired you (she inspires me too). I’m glad you are willing to share your experience and that you have a desire to help others learn from your experiences. I can’t help but wonder though, if there are ways to get that credit and graduate. I know that there are sometimes options for credit recovery. And sometimes you might need to chat with a few people that can help you with understanding all of the possible options. Sometimes problem solving with others can help you find solutions that you may not have even considered before.
    I wish you the greatest success for you.
    Mrs. R.