Pre and post workout nutrition is essential for all types of exercise. In the growing supplement industry it is common to find companies promising increased stamina and recovery, but this isn’t always the case. It is essential if you are going to take workout supplements that you do your own research to find out what will best suit your needs. In doing so you should look for companies making claims that are to good to be true as well as the ingredients that are healthy and that will best suit your needs. It is also important for a consumer to know that there are other ways to naturally supplement with foods. The only benefit to taking supplements is that most are taken in liquid form and your body is able to absorb the ingredients faster rather than taking a long time to digest. This article is great because it provides you with natural alternatives as well as give you a list of ingredients of what you should look for in pre and post workout supplements.

Antioxidants are key to preventing muscle damage. You should look for a variety of antioxidants in your supplements, including both water-soluble and fat-soluble. Fat-soluble antioxidants such as vitamin E and Q-10 should be taken with meals. Water-soluble antioxidants can be taken with either food or plenty of fluids.

Another big concern that people have when taking supplements is the health of their liver. An ingredient to look for that is beneficial to the liver is called sadenosyl-methionine (SAMe). SAMe is a key element in the liver’s production of lipotropic compounds, which are useful for processing fats and eliminating toxins.

For more information on supplements that are necessary for maintaining a healthy and balanced body visit this link.

Post workout meals are extremely important. After an intense workout your body is in what is known as a catabolic state. This is where your muscles are broken down and energy is depleted. There is an ideal time limit during the 30 to 90 minutes directly following your workout where you should consume post workout foods or supplements in order to stop the damage and to replenish the energy lost. While food is a good option supplements such as protein compounds tend to be a convenient alternative. Regardless of whether or not you decide to take supplements you should be sure to give your body what it needs when it needs it. For more information on post workout meals you can see this link.

Singleton T. Pre- and Post-Workout Nutrition for Patients. American Chiropractor [serial online]. January 2017;39(1):46-48. Available from: Alt HealthWatch, Ipswich, MA. Accessed February 26, 2017.

Clouatre D. Sports Nutrition. Total Health [serial online]. April 1999;21(2):42. Available from: Alt HealthWatch, Ipswich, MA. Accessed February 26, 2017.

Walker J. SPORT NUTRITION: Food for performance. Alive: Canada’s Natural Health & Wellness Magazine [serial online]. June 2011;(344):40. Available from: Alt HealthWatch, Ipswich, MA. Accessed February 26, 2017.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Sports Nutrition and Supplementation Research Findings by Trevor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Abd el hameed 8 months ago

dear trevor
    I am Abdelhameed i agree with you because supplement industry it is common to find companies promising increased stamina and recovery some thing that you said that stand out is Antioxidants are key to preventing muscle damage. You should look for a variety of antioxidants in your supplements, including both water-soluble and fat-soluble. because it show the negative side antioxidants, tanks for you writing. i look forwad to seeing what you write next

2. Will 10 months ago

Interesting. I think that pre and post workout supplements are definintely the key to getting yoked, however how do you know something isn’t gonna wreck your kidneys? This is some craxy stuff, and I’m excited to use your research to help me get jacked. I’m putting my gains in your hands.