One weekend when I was camping on a three day trip with my friends from my soccer team and it was one of the most fun and sad times of my life.I had a ton of fun when we would fish,hammock, and even take hikes around the woods. After our long day we would go our campsite roast marshmallows joke around and then try to sleep. On our second day camping on our three day camping trip we came back to the campsite after fishing to find it was overrun with raccoons. Our food wasn’t very well sealed and a ton of raccoons came to our campsite and ate all of our food. We were trying to find out who left the food open and I remembered that I was super hungry in the morning and ate a lot and I guess I didn’t seal it well. That cut our camp trip short and we went home later that day and they still tease me about it to this day.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Stranger Than Fiction by Andre is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Natalya 7 months ago

Dear Andre,

This is a hilarious story! It reminded me of one time when I went camping for my tenth birthday and my dad had put my birthday cake in the backseat of his truck until we were going to eat it the following morning. We went to bed and everybody woke up about an hour later to a group of raccoons eating the chocolate and marshmallows we had left by the fire. Then in the morning we went to get the cake and a raccoon had snuck through the cracked window of the truck and ate it! So I feel like this story could totally be true.
    Thanks for sharing!

Natalya

2. Kendall 7 months ago

Andre,
    Fascinating story. I camp with my family during the summer months and we too have been victims of raccoon and other wild animal plundering. One fear always held central is that bears will smell food and come to our campsite. Thus, we usually keep food in a bear box or in the car. Do you do this? Why or why not? Interesting post!

3. Raeesah 8 months ago

Dear Andre,

I am interested with your post, “Stranger Than Fiction,” because it was a fun and interesting story about a fun camping trip. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “We were trying to find out who left the food open and I remembered that I was super hungry in the morning and ate a lot and I guess I didn’t seal it well.” I think this is relatable because whenever I grab something from the fridge when I’m hungry, I forget to close the fridge door properly. Another sentence that I liked was: “I had a ton of fun when we would fish,hammock, and even take hikes around the woods.” This stood out for me because it sounds really fun and I don’t really have time to have that kind of fun anymore.Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time, we got ice cream from Costco. It was only 2 days after we got the ice cream that my brother went to get a few form the fridge. He was so excited and hungry, he didn’t close the fridge properly. There were a lot of ice creams left, and they all melted because the fridge wasn’t closed properly. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your life sounds quite interesting, since you went camping with friends and had fun, hiking and stuff.

4. Matthew 8 months ago

this article told me about the fun of camping and the dangers of animals. it was a good story to tell. I didn’t know that raccoons could swarm camps so fast. I think fishing is also kind of cool. I want to go fishing also some day. but I don’t really like to kill animals.

5. Olivia 8 months ago

Dear Andre and other commenters,
    Hello! My name is Olivia and I am a research student at the University of Nebraska. I am wondering if you’d be willing to answer just a couple questions I had for you regarding youth voices? Your responses would help me further a research analysis of this community and would remain anonymous. Answering the questions would take no more than 10 minutes to complete. Let me know if you are interested by messaging me on this site!