Topic: gang violence

Imagine gang wars starting in our country and our whole society collapsing.

This is significant because when youths join gangs, they get exposed to drugs, sex, guns, and violence. When youths join gangs, they join because they need protection or because of a family member is in one. This shows that youths joining gangs can get exposed to gang related events that they weren’t prepared for.

In my opinion, youths who join gangs get exposed to gang related events because they get influenced by the actions of the gangs. Parents fear when their children join gangs because they are sometimes pressured by peers to join one, for protection, need to make money, or a friend or family member is in one.

Secondly, when parents see their children join a gang, they see them carry a gun because of protection. Youths are also exposed to drugs and sex because of peer pressured by gang members or friends who are in gangs. Youths are also exposed to violence and gang wars because of gang related issue’s or a gang related event. I interviewed martin sanchez, who explains that youths who join gangs get exposed to gang related issues that don’t get them an education or a diploma for them to graduate.

In conclusion, youths don’t have to join gangs because of peer pressured or cause of protection. Get an education and be successful in life and don’t join gangs because it will be the biggest  mistake you will ever make.     

CC BY-SA 4.0 Gang violence in our world by Benjamin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Nyasa 6 months ago

Dear Benjamin,

I am very fascinated by your post “Gang Violence in our world” because it really shows a good reason why kids should not join any kinds of gangs for any reason, even if they are influenced by many around them. It is a bad idea and they would not realize it, but it would hurt them later in life. Also, because of this they would quit school, which would lead them to not having an education.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “Parents fear when their children join gangs because they are sometimes pressured by peers to join one, for protection, need to make money, or a friend or family member is in one” I think this is important to know because children are making such life decisions at a young age, by themselves. Also, they would mostly be doing this some resound similar to these given in the quote. They would be pressured by others and themselves and would want to go in a gang to feel like a part of everyone. However they don’t realize this is really wrong to do.

Another sentence that I liked was “Get an education and be successful in life and don’t join gangs because it will be the biggest mistake you will ever make.” This stood out for me because it gave a really good message to all the young people out there who feel like they want to go/be part of a gang. Like it says, children at this age should get a good education and think of getting a good life/career, and not ruin their lives in some gang. It would be a really big mistake and they will regret it later in their life.

I do agree with you that kids should get a proper education and not be part of a bad gang out there. One reason I say this is because being part of this group makes kids do drugs and violence at a really young age. They should be learning right now and not be holding guns. That is not safe at all for them or for anyone around them. Another reason I agree with you is because if kids are involved in this stuff, they would start doing unsafe and wrong things at youth. The kids have parents to protect them and don’t need bad people influencing them or “helping” them.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because this post was very informative and helped everyone understand right from wrong (regarding gangs).

2. Aryan 6 months ago

Dear Benjamin,
    I am happy about your article “Gang violence in our world” because it informs readers on gang activity and its path to violence.
    One line that stood put to me was ” Get an education and be successful in life and don’t join gangs because it will be the biggest mistake you will ever make.” I think this is nice because it gave readers a tip on how to stay away from gang violence. In addition, it left on a good note.
    Another sentence I was interested by was “Secondly, when parents see their children join a gang, they see them carry a gun because of protection.” It was weird how kids in gangs carried guns around. Despite for sake of protection, this should not be done.
    Your article reminds me of the time I saw Barbershop, a movie. The main character’s son was influenced by gang activity and eventually he joined a gang. The young teen carried guns around until the end, when his dad saved him.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because this article was very informative.

3. Andrew 6 months ago

Dear benjamin
    I am conflicted about your post, “Gang Violence in Our World” because it claims to be about gang violence in our world but doesn’t actually talk about instances of gang violence. It instead seems to insinuate that gangs corrupt innocent children and make them criminals, purely with peer pressure. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Secondly, when parents see their children join a gang, they see them carry a gun because of protection” I think this is misinformed because it implies a lot of things, one all gangs are criminal and all gang members carry around guns, however, according to dictionary.com, a gang can be a plethora of things and is not necessarily criminal, and even if it is criminal. Members will likely not be shooting people, especially if they spent the first, let’s say, ten years of their life avoiding all criminal action. Secondly, as mentioned before, this implies that a child can go from innocent to gun toting purely with peer pressure, while ignoring how massive of a leap that is, and how peer pressure is not all powerful. While parents should watch who their children are friends with and teach their children about peer pressure and how not to give into it, as long as those two things are done, it is difficult to somehow have a kid join a gang and start carrying a gun and doing drugs. Another sentence that I worried me was: “In my opinion, youths who join gangs get exposed to gang related events because they get influenced by the actions of the gangs.” This stood out for me because you are saying that this is your opinion, that the joining of gangs leads to “gang related events”, which I assume are criminal activities. My issue with this is that it is the basis of a lot of your argument, but you are admitting that it is an opinion, not a fact, and when an argument is not based on fact, it becomes much less believable. While you do have the source of Martin Sanchez, your summary of what he said and lack of an actual quote from him makes this seem like at least some children have missed out on an education because they were a part of gangs, but even with that said, your argument seems to be opinion based
    I don’t really agree with you that a child can become a criminal with just peer pressure assuming they have responsible parents one reason I say this that people aren’t this simple, they do not listen to all peer pressure, and they usually distance themselves from bad influences, especially criminals. Another reason I disagree with you is that you seem to be saying that gang violence among children is a common occurrence but show no such instances. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I beleive that you do put a lot of work into your pieces. You seem to have good messages that you try to spread with your articles, and I respect that

4. Munshi 6 months ago

Dear Benjamin

I am learnt (i learned a lot) by your post “Gang violence in our world” because I never knew why people joined gangs and what they are.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “they join because they need protection” I think this is confusing because why would some one want to join a gang for protection.

I do agree with you that gangs are bad and can ruin some ones life. One reason I say this is because gangs cause you to use drugs and violence.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because what you write really teaches me.

5. Mahdi 6 months ago

Dear Benjamin:

I am in agreement with the fact that youths do not have to join gangs, “Gang Violence,” because they should be unique and not have to follow what peers force them to. This will also lead to world corruption by the day.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “In conclusion, youths don’t have to join gangs because of peer pressured or cause of protection.” I think this is true because it will make our world more diverse and much safer.

Another sentence that I read was: “ Parents fear when their children join gangs” This stood out for me because that is no reason to join a gang.

I do strongly agree with you that youth should not join gangs. One reason I say this is to maintain world peace. Another reason I agree with you is to also maintain the diversity in personalities.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your topics are very big world issues that can go in either direction if stopped.

6. Lina 6 months ago

Dear Benjamin,
    I mostly agree with you on this topic, while I do believe that some kids who join gangs are convinced that it is the best option for them at the time, and they have the idea that they are helping themselves, not hurting. Most kids who believe this are coming from poor families or areas, and have little to no support at home. This is why support should be provided to them through the ways of community centers, social workers, and at school. There are ways to prevent another child joining a gang, and more should be done to do so, as I feel like the issue is not being showed as much attention as it should be.

7. Madison 6 months ago

Dear Benjamin,
    I agree your thoughts on why people join gangs and how gang fights start. At first your idea that people would join gangs for protection confused me but I realized that being in a gang meant that other people would be scared of the people in the gang because of what people think a stereotypical gang is (scary people with guns that are rough and could shoot you.)they would not hurt a person in a gang. And in a gang everyone stays together and protects each other because, though they are seen as rough they most likely feel that they are a family. At the same time though, the people in the gang are not protected because the little innocence they have left has been taken away in fear of drugs, sex, and violence. You showed that they had to fear everything when you stated that they needed to carry guns since gangsters are involved in dangerous things. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

8. Lidia 6 months ago

Dear Benjamin:

I am very amused with your post, “Gang Violence in Our World,” because it is describing a very important issue in today’s age. People especially the youth expose themselves to unhealthy acts. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “This is significant because when youths join gangs, they get exposed to drugs, sex, guns, and violence.” I think this is important because the young are vulnerable and if guardians don’t pay attention their kids could be facing a major risk. Another sentence that I found was: “Parents fear when their children join gangs because they are sometimes pressured by peers to join one, for protection, need to make money, or a friend or family member is in one.” This stood out for me because it is very true and should be looked at by more people. I do agree with you that you should never join gangs. One reason I say this is because it will ruin your chance of being successful. Another reason I agree with you is because people of all ages must understand that this act can ruin your life because it is risky and sometimes the consequences could be deadly. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because these controversial topics are important to talk about and teach people lessons.

9. Katerina 6 months ago

Dear Benjamin,
    I strongly agree with you thoughts on gang violence. I would also like to add that people usually join gangs because they are peer-pressured into them from the kids they grow up with. However, exposing the children to a more safe environment reduces the chances of a child joining a gang. When you said ” Carry around guns for protection” it made me think joining gangs will not only bring violence into households it will cause children to most likely end up dropping out of school and leading a life of poverty and hardships. Also when you stated” Peer pressured by gang members” I also thought gangs will also lead people to end up in prison for many years or even life. Thank you for your post Benjamin.