I am from lightning bugs in mason jars,

and wet feet from the dewy night time grass.

I am from Kool-Aid that stains my tongue blue

and cartwheels that make my head spin.

I am from the house with the yellow door,

sunny colored and always slamming.

I am from the swingset that creaks as if it is going to fall apart whenever I swing too high,

yet, of course, that doesn’t stop me from trying to swing as if I’m going to reach the clouds.

I am from superman ice cream dripping down my arm,

and trying to keep up with Emmie and Gretchen as we backstroke across the lake.

I am from the quiet ones and the loud ones,

the stand up for what you believe ins and the never change for anyones.

I am from go with the flow and don’t sweat the small stuff.

I am from the cold tile floor under my toes on a hot summer day

and paint colored fingers that I could never keep completely clean.

I am from the ballerina whose grace did not quite reach me,

and the giggles that bring us all to tears.

I am from the oak bookshelves so jam-packed with pictures, art projects, and novels that it seems impossible to fit even one more memory on any given shelf.

I am from the stories impossible to forget because I feel like I’ve lived them myself when my grandpa tells them in his wise voice.

I am from a little bit of everything and a little bit of everyone.

Photo by Johnny Silvercloud

CC BY-SA 4.0 Where I’m From by Alli is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. MacKenzie 6 months ago

Dear Alli,
    I loved reading this poem. I felt like I was able to really visualize all of the things that you described. From the Kool-Aid to the superman ice cream. Those descriptions helped me connect to your poem. My favorite line has to be the last one where you state “I am from a little bit of everything and a little bit of everyone.” I think that line is so true. In every person that you meet they become apart of you and you to them. I think in everything we see we are able to find a little part of ourselves.

2. Natalya 6 months ago

Dear Alli,
    I really liked this poem. I wrote a Where I’m From poem earlier this year and found it difficult to make it flow nicely but also have the kind of emotion I wanted it to. Your poem did an incredible job of that. I really loved the imagery of the bookshelf in the last couple lines. It truly got across this concept of a family rooted in it home and memories that I really enjoyed. Thank you for sharing!

Natalya

3. Jose 6 months ago

Dear Alli,
    My name is jose and I was amazed by your poem Were i’m From Because I felt like I was able to connect with what your lines said. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is I am from a little bit of everything and a little bit of everyone. I think that this is beautiful because everything and everyone does make you how you are. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next.