I am from lightning bugs in mason jars,

and wet feet from the dewy night time grass.

I am from Kool-Aid that stains my tongue blue

and cartwheels that make my head spin.

I am from the house with the yellow door,

sunny colored and always slamming.

I am from the swingset that creaks as if it is going to fall apart whenever I swing too high,

yet, of course, that doesn’t stop me from trying to swing as if I’m going to reach the clouds.

I am from superman ice cream dripping down my arm,

and trying to keep up with Emmie and Gretchen as we backstroke across the lake.

I am from the quiet ones and the loud ones,

the stand up for what you believe ins and the never change for anyones.

I am from go with the flow and don’t sweat the small stuff.

I am from the cold tile floor under my toes on a hot summer day

and paint colored fingers that I could never keep completely clean.

I am from the ballerina whose grace did not quite reach me,

and the giggles that bring us all to tears.

I am from the oak bookshelves so jam-packed with pictures, art projects, and novels that it seems impossible to fit even one more memory on any given shelf.

I am from the stories impossible to forget because I feel like I’ve lived them myself when my grandpa tells them in his wise voice.

I am from a little bit of everything and a little bit of everyone.

Photo by Johnny Silvercloud

CC BY-SA 4.0 Where I’m From by Alli is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Chea 5 months ago

Dear Allison,
    I am satisfied with your poem because you were very descriptive with it. Not only that but, you did an amazing job on describing our daily lives and our characteristics. Also, this poem is very relatable because the things that you mentioned shows that although we are from different places, we are still very similar to each other.

One thing you said that stands out for me is: “I am from the quiet ones and the loud ones, the stand up for what you believe ins and the never change for anyones.” I think this is interesting because this is a powerful message that helps people express their ideas.

In my class, we watched Chimamanda Adiche’s “The Danger of a Single Story.” Your post reminded me of this quote from her speech: “All of these stories make me who I am. But to insist on only these negative stories is to flatten my experience and to overlook the many other stories that formed me. The single story creates stereotypes, and the problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue, but that they are incomplete. They make one story become the only story.” I thought that this quote meant that there are many things that makes up who we are, but many people only focus on the negative side of our stories and not the positive, and connected to your poem because in your poem, you informed us of your whole story, not just one side of it.

Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I like your writing style. It is very descriptive and relatable to the readers.

2. Madyson 5 months ago

Dear Alli,
    I am interested in your poem because I felt as though there was a strong connection between you and the things you said you are. From the first line you used imagery to portray the emotion given as writing this I am from poem. The image at the beginning is absolutely beautiful and definitely is a great way to start off your poem. I love how you made nonliving things sound living.

One thing that stands out to me is “I am from the stories impossible to forget because I feel like I’ve lived them myself when my grandpa tells them in his wise voice.” I can really relate to this because I feel the same way when people tell me stories. If you think that deep into a story you were there and know what happened when you weren’t actually there if you know what I mean. I just found that interesting.

In my class, we watched Chimamanda Adiche’s “The Danger of a Single Story.” Your post reminded me of this quote from her story: “I started to write about things I recognized.” To me this quote meant that individuals aren’t just one story we are more than a million stories and we realize that we are apart of them even though some may not be true. This connected to your poem because you said that you are a little bit of everything and everyone therefore everything and the stories are within us. We are also within it.
    Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I loved your poem. Many people will like to see more of your poems.

3. Luz 5 months ago

Dear Alli,

I am intrigued by your poem, because you used imagery in your writing which allowed me to understand it more. I thought it was cool how you put things together that wouldn’t normally be compared. I liked that you talked more about what makes you you, rather than where you were born and your parents background.
    One thing you said that stands out for me is: “I am from a little bit of everything and a little bit of everyone”. I think this is interesting because i agree. ALthough we are all unique our character is a mix of other people’s characters and different cultures. They’re the same just everyone adapts to them and acts on them differently.
    In my class, we watched Chimamanda Adiche’s “The Danger of a Single Story.” Your post reminded me of this quote from her speech: “All of these stories make me who I am. But to insist on only these negative stories is to flatten my experience and to overlook the many other stories that formed me. The single story creates stereotypes, and the problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue, but that they are incomplete. They make one story become the only story”. I thought that this quote meant that we need to testify who we are and what makes us because if we don’t we will be supporting the single story. This is connected to your poem, because you didn’t bother mentioning your ethnicity or where your parents come from. If I’m being honest that’s the first thing I thought about when I heard we would be writing an “ I am from” poem.
    Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I believe I can relate to you in many ways. Hoping that maybe you’ll write more about your life now, I would glad;y read your work again.

4. Juanamarina 5 months ago

Dear Alli,

I am interested in your poem because there isn’t any angst that I expected like in most poems in this format. I get the vibe you come from a normal upbringing and had a decent childhood. I enjoyed your poem because it gives a sense of youth. It is very abstract.

One thing you said that stands out for me is the last line of your poem: “I am from a little bit of everything and a little bit of everyone.” I think this is interesting because what you grew up with and experienced forms the person you are.

In my class, we watched Chimamanda Adiche’s “The Danger of a Single Story.” Your post reminded me of this quote from her speech: “My roomate had a single story of Africa: a single story of catastrophe.” I thought that this quote meant that some people don’t have many varied experiencing in life. And this lack of variation could affect the way people see you, and connected to your poem because I believe from what I read that you have had the opposite kind of life than Adiche.

Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your optimistic upbringing is intriguing to read about.

5. MacKenzie 1 year ago

Dear Alli,
    I loved reading this poem. I felt like I was able to really visualize all of the things that you described. From the Kool-Aid to the superman ice cream. Those descriptions helped me connect to your poem. My favorite line has to be the last one where you state “I am from a little bit of everything and a little bit of everyone.” I think that line is so true. In every person that you meet they become apart of you and you to them. I think in everything we see we are able to find a little part of ourselves.

6. Natalya 1 year ago

Dear Alli,
    I really liked this poem. I wrote a Where I’m From poem earlier this year and found it difficult to make it flow nicely but also have the kind of emotion I wanted it to. Your poem did an incredible job of that. I really loved the imagery of the bookshelf in the last couple lines. It truly got across this concept of a family rooted in it home and memories that I really enjoyed. Thank you for sharing!

Natalya

7. Jose 1 year ago

Dear Alli,
    My name is jose and I was amazed by your poem Were i’m From Because I felt like I was able to connect with what your lines said. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is I am from a little bit of everything and a little bit of everyone. I think that this is beautiful because everything and everyone does make you how you are. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next.