For many people, television provides a perfect escape from the real world. You can sit down on your couch, pull up a laptop, and relate to someone else for a little while. From thanking the universe that you don’t work under Michael Scott, to smiling widely while Danerys kicks major tookus, television is one of the best ways to relieve yourself of the mundanity of daily life.

To me (and to a lot of other people), I find that shows that tend to be more comedic make me more relaxed. It feels so cathartic to laugh for a little while and feel a touch of schadenfreude when doing so. But sometimes, these shows just aren’t funny. My father is a huge fan of MAS*H, and my mother really likes Cheers! , but I personally prefer to watch New Girl or The Office. So what’s the difference between these “classic” sitcoms? Although there is definitely a recipe for a “good” sitcom, the ingredients have often changed.

I think that a good sitcom includes the following: romantic conflict, relatable characters, one-dimensional characters, and a continuous plot line. I also think that a good sitcom should have something a little denser about it–some underlying theme that makes you think for a little bit.

My research to find the answer to this question will consist of reading articles, surveying a few different people, and watching clips of the TV shows to find commonalities.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What makes a GOOD sitcom? by Robin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ariel 6 months ago

Robin,
    I think this is a really interesting topic and I love TV. In the sense that I enjoy analyzing and trying to figure out how it works. I’m excited to see what else you find!.
    PS. I absolutely both love New Girl and The Office. 🙂

2. Aryan 6 months ago

Dear Robin,
    I am very happy by your article “what makes a good sitcom?” because I really like sitcom. I also believe it helps me be relaxed and escape the real world.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “For many people, television provides a perfect escape from the real world.” I think this is very true as sitcom is made for this reason.
    However, I do not agree that a good sitcom has romantic conflict,as it provides tension.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because this piece got me thinking.

3. Lesley 6 months ago

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I agree with most of your requirements to create a good sitcom, and I really do want to know what can really make a sitcom that, for a little while, can take you to a different world and has a deeper meaning and understanding than what meets the eye.

4. Chloe 6 months ago

Interesting topic Robin. I too enjoy comedic shows, often over drama or thriller. My brother loves Frasier, and I too find it funny, but not in the way he does. I think I am too young for the references. I am eager to learn/read more about the recipe to the perfect sitcom!

5. Benjamin 6 months ago

I agree with you because your topic explains the great times of tv we had as children. you explain how your father was a fan of a tv show and I know that all of us are tv show fans. I like how you explain what makes a great sitcom and what are great tv show sitcoms

6. Jose 6 months ago

dear robin, i am strongly agreeing with you about this article “what makes a GOOD sitcom” because i also have done that before and i also have been in those shoes. i know how people feel about this and i know how you must of have felt about this i agree with you and other people about this situation.

7. Joseph 6 months ago

From where I’m from, people at my school have a diverse interest in television shows but in the end, all of them are sitcoms. From Seinfeld to The Big Bang Theory, they all include what you said. I agree to what you said, especially with the continuous plot line. I think that your paper will be entertaining.