I have always had a strong sense of self. I never had a lot of friends but, regardless I was always happy. One big thing that I always struggled with was conflict. I hated arguments. I could never get the right words out to say what I me3ant. I’d always struggle to get my point across when arguing, and get lost in my own words, making me seem like I had no argument. This caused me many issues throughout my life, because you always have to talk to people and they won’t always understand like how someone who is close to you might. I’d get so frustrated to the point where i’d breakdown crying, because no one would understand what I was trying to say.

Once my parents got divorced it changed the game for me. After that communication was absolutely necessary. We moved schools, houses, and lived with many different people. I had to adapt and become the voice of not only me, but me and my younger siblings, which made it even more important than ever. Now I had to become the voice for all of us, for the sanity of all of us, because I wasn’t gonna let us be left in the dust. It wasn’t easy, and it still isn’t, but each day the words become a little easier to say.

CC BY-SA 4.0 One word after another by Kenzie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Elsie 6 months ago

Dear Kenzie :

I am inspired by your post,”One word after another” because I, too, have trouble getting points across. It makes me frustrated, too, that I cannot converse like everyone else.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “This caused me many issues throughout my life, because you always have to talk to people and they won’t always understand like how someone who is close to you might.” I think this is important because it is true that some who do not know you well may make fun of you for something they think strange that a close family member would understand. It is easier to talk with those close to you.

Another sentence that I like is “Now I had to become the voice for all of us, for the sanity of all of us, because I wasn’t gonna let us be left in the dust.” This stood out for me because it must have taken so much courage to step up to fix your problem, and it is inspiring to me.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I had to present my science project in front of the class and I nervously stuttered and freaked out so that the teacher ha to remind me of the prompts. It was embarrasing, and I resent it.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next- you are a very good writer and thorough storyteller.

2. Will 6 months ago

I really enjoyed the energy in this piece because the anecdotal part was really jey to building the paper. I think that you are doing just fine figuring out what to say because this is really well constructed

3. rakisultan 6 months ago

I feel a sense of nostalgia when I read your work, “One word after another,” because even though I was never placed in a situation like the one you described in the second paragraph, I never can really get across the words I really want to say. This often made me feel like no one, not even people I’m close to, can understand what I’m thinking, which is the feeling I felt while reading this.