For my continuing research on the causes of violence in youth, I decided to look more into the theory that trauma is the root cause. Today one of the most highly debated parts in the research world of child development is the cause of  violence in youth.While researching this on the Pioneer Online Library, I found an incredibly useful article from the Chicago Catalyst, written by Sarah Karp. Tragedy’s Aftermath, gives a useful insight and statistics on the backgrounds of youth who suffer through debilitation in school and violent outbursts because of traumatic backgrounds. This quote helps to summarize the perspective of the article, “Research points to the lingering effects of trauma on children. When no one helps them to cope with the emotional aftermath, children can become angry, irritable, and aggressive in response to the stress of violence, according to the National Child Traumatic Stress Network. Traumatized children often lose the ability to concentrate, become withdrawn, or act out.”

It is my firm theory now that the root cause of violence in youth, in many cases, has relations or a background in trauma.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Research for ‘The Causes of Violence in Youth’ Part 4 by Jackson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.