February 2, 2017

Hey Maacs,

Hello little Maacs, I know how hard it is to go through changes during your teenage times.

I know you are only 14 years old and really scared to tell your parents about who you really are. But hey, don’t worry I’ve got some incredible news and tips.

First of all, sit down with your parents and tell them, “I am Gay.” Trust me, your mom/stepdad will love you in the same way as always. Meanwhile, your dad will be a pain, but you can handle it. I know how strong you will become.

Coming out will be an awesome relief because you can finally truly be who you really are and always have been. Your friends will be supportive, you will make great connections, and your life will be much more colorful.

But hey, just be careful with people that are out there. They can try to hurt you or kill you. Stay strong and do what Lady Gaga always says, “I am on the right track baby, I was born to be brave.”

Enjoy your time in Brazil before moving to the U.S. I will see you in five years, big boy!  Hope you take this with your rainbow-like heart.

Fabulously, yourself in the future, more gay and awesome than ever.
Mvinicius.

Marcus, a.k.a Maacs.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Letter to My Younger Self: Being Gay is Okay by Marcus is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Syera 5 months ago

This was such a brave and amazing thing to do. Most people are so scared to let it be known that they don’t tell anyone. They just hold it in. Trust me, I know people in my family that have done it, but once you let it be known everything in life will be so much easier. You won’t be scared about how someone will feel about you anymore or how someone will treat you. If your family loves you for you, then they should have absolutely no problem accepting you for who you want to be. So good luck and congratulations for making this big decision that you did! It was the biggest, hardest step and you achieved it. I’m proud of you! Never be afraid to show who you truly are. Inside and Out.
    – Syera

2. Author
    Marcus 6 months ago

I know how hard it is to accept yourself and then be brave enough. But hey, is totally fine to be deep down in this situation (…) grades aren’t necessary.
    And before anything, only YOU need to accept and love yourself, as soon as you get this main lesson done, everything will be easier when comes to making people see and accept you as who you are.
    Don’t forget , always be yourself and let your glitter come out 😀

Marcus – Maacs

3. roanamlit 6 months ago

Marcus,
    First of all, go you! Keep owning who you are, because, if you rock you, if you wear you proudly, and you own it, there will be people who love you for it. Granted, there will be people who hate you for it too, but that’s just a part of life. To be honest, I wish I had realized that sooner. I am bisexual, I try to own it, and I don’t really do or say or think how people want me to. For the longest time that scared me, and I’m just now starting to own it.

So thank you for reaffirming the weirdness that is my brain. Sorry for getting really deep on what is for both of us a graded assignment.

Roan