To the YV community, this is my response to the Warm-Up for English class today. We are studying Shakespeare’s Othello and exploring the theme of appearance versus reality.

***************************

Dear Do,

I just found out you did not come to school today and I saw your grade for Ms. P’s class. You are not doing so well. If you keep on doing the same thing then you will end up dropping out, and if you drop out you will eventually not get a good job. Despite the fact that you are rich it won’t save you from not graduating, then you will end up homeless and you will become a hobo. This is why I want you to do good in school so that I can get a ride in your Challenger, but if you don’t step up your game you won’t be able to give me a ride to prom. I would like to tell you that you have my support, but if you do not show up to school just because you’re rich, then you won’t be able to graduate and walk the stage with us.

That would really break my heart.

You are my best friend, and I care about you, therefore I will continue to try and encourage you to do better in school and actually graduate with me, so that then we can go on after high school and make our dreams come true.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Letter to my friend Do by Tomas is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.