After doing research on EBSCO, I found three available sources on hyperthymesia. The first told me some important information relevant to my research question:
- The individual that a case study on in the magazine Psychologist had no better short or long term scores on desktop games than the average person
- Only the autobiographical memory of individuals with hyperthymesia is affected
- The 20-year-old man’s first memory was from age 3, and he had a perfect recollection of every day past age 11
- Brings up an interesting point: can people with hyperthymesia remember earlier memories than others?
- Important role of the amygdala in memory functions
- This particular individual begins every day by thinking about what he did that day in previous years. However, patient tended to focus more on the positive memories than the negative.
- This research is relevant to Alzheimer’s research
Hyperthymesia Scientific Research by Siena is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.