Over the years, my features have changed. I have gotten taller. I have (arguably)  matured. My thoughts continue to change based on my surroundings and experiences. I am not who I once was. I see things with a fresh pair of lenses every time I turn a day, a week, a month, a year older. An old school could look completely different than what we remember it to be. I used to think of my elementary school as a huge maze with lots of twists and turns. But now, it is just a building with a few narrow hallways and short ceilings.

The mind’s memories can alter the voice that is present inside of one’s head. For example, parents will always treat their kids as children even though they may be grown up. The parent’s memories of their child heavily weighs on the voice inside their heads and as a result, it impacts how they treat their young.

While it is comforting to think that we can control our body and minds, the truth is, we have no control over the constantly evolving mind. The voice in our minds can only be molded by our past and present experiences.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Mind’s Language by Tala is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Mitchell 6 months ago

Tala. You bring up a very interesting topic that I have not really thought about. I guess I always realized it but I do not think I have given it much thought. I think you make a very good point about the ideas we get in our heads growing up and how some change over time while others do not. I think the idea of a good first impression is very important and how we view things later. We will have an idea in her head for a very long time based on the first that we have about something and then a while later we will look back on it and realize that you could be wrong or have a different view completely. You make a very good point about how our minds are constantly changing and I feel that is cool but also a little scary.

2. Brayden Fineout 6 months ago

Tala,
    I also find it fascinating how the human perception changes and grows over time. On the other hand, I think parents always treat their offspring like children because they have been doing it for over a decade. Humans are creatures of habit so they do not respond well to change. Some parents do not treat their kids like adults because they simply do not want to change their behavior toward their offspring in fear of a negative response. On another note, it is true that our minds can only be molded by our experiences however, we do have partial control to decide what we experience.