To begin ,the novel uglies connects to 2017 because people a lot of people are trying to look a certian way by getting plastic surgery to be a bigger butt ,looking skinner , boobs and skin colored changed . For example on (pg 94) in the novel the uglies it says “should she tell this new ugly that sometimes this afternoon ,her body was gonna be opened ,up the bones fround downto the right shape ,some of them strethched or padded,her nose cartilage  and cheek bones stripped out and replaced with programmablr pastic ,skin sanded off and reseeded like a soccer field in spring?”

Photo by Zdenko Zivkovic

CC BY-SA 4.0 Uglies in 2017 by Arleen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Nina 8 months ago

Dear Arleen,

I really like the connection you made in your post between your book and today. It is true that often people care more about outward appearance and do anything possible to change their appearance to be what they think is “pretty.” However, who decides what is pretty? And who said all these changes by plastic surgery makes one pretty. What do you think? Did you like the book? Do you think this was the theme of the book and the author’s message?

To make this writing even stronger it would have been great to read your analysis of this quote and see you connect this back to your claim. I look forward to reading what you write next.