To begin, the novel Uglies by Scott Westerfeld connects to 2017 because now mostly everyone is doing surgery to become pretty and changing their appearance in different ways. In my book my protagonist tally was being laughed at because she is ugly. Also In the book uglies it talked about how the uglies want to become beautiful because they are tired of being judged by people who are pretty. This shows that the prettys have more power over the uglies because the prettys can do whatever they want. The world can turn into dystopia because people are just wasting their  money to turn pretty but at the end everyone will be the same. In 2017 the uglies don’t mean nothing in the world because they aren’t pretty. Furthermore, in the book ” Tally felt uglier every second she spent there. being laughed at by everyone she met wasn’t helping much”. This quote shows that people are splitting up into different groups because they are different. The uglies are being oppressed by the prettys because the pretty’s thin k that they have everything and the uglies cant have it. In conclusion the uglies shouldn’t be judged because of their looks.

Photo by Tom Bech

CC BY-SA 4.0 Uglies 2017 by Paulina is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Nina 8 months ago

Paulina,

Thank you so much for your post and I really agree with your post. I always wonder why people spend so much money on being “beautiful” in society’s eyes. In many ways, I wish our society could let go of all things – make up, surgeries, hair highlighting that separates people and causes things to be put into two categories “pretty” or “ugly.” To strengthen your post and your credibility as a writer, remember to capitalize correctly and format your title correctly. Make sure you are reading over your work. Looking forward to future posts.