To begin, the novel Uglies by Scott Westerfeld connects to 2017 because more people are changing to fit in our world or what we call is “Pretty”. This shows that they believe people who are in charge wants people that look better even though they are already pretty. A piece of evidence is ” But first you see my face. You react to symmetry ,skin tone, the same shape of my eyes, and you decide what’s inside me based on all your reactions. You are program to”(263). This shows that in Tally’s world  the government  makes you believe that you are ugly until you get the surgery to become pretty. Our world makes us believe that we aren’t pretty enough until we get a boob job or any else that makes our bodies different. In conclusion our world is similar to the book that is happening there. we shouldn’t change because people don’t like how we look.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Uglies 2017 by Yasmin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Nina 6 months ago

Dear Yasmin,

Thank you for your post. I really appreciated how you put “Pretty” in quotes cause it reminds us how subjective that word is. Who decides what pretty and ugly is? Why does our society have feelings about beauty? Why is beauty valued? I really appreciated your opinion and thank you for writing. Looking forward to reading your future posts.