To begin, the novel Fahrenheit 451 connects to 2017 because the government is trying to shape everything to a way they think will make society a utopia. The society in the novel connects to this because the government thinks that if they continue to do what they think is correct their world will be a better place. And in this society, Donald Trump created the slogan “Make America Great Again”. This shows how the people with power think that they will be able to make a utopian society. Both of the governments think that their society will be “great” by doing the wrong things. To begin, in the novel Fahrenheit 451 the government thinks that by burning houses that have literature they will be able to have an equal society, for example the author explained, “Burn them to ashes, then burn the ashes” (6). This is showing us how the government of the novel thinks that it is right to burn houses and literature. They do this because they want everyone in their society to be equal or to be treated the same. By them burning books they think that everyone will have the same knowledge. In the book they also said that no one was born equal but that they were made equal this shows how burning books makes everyone equal because they are not able to have more knowledge. This connects to what Donald Trump created because he is trying to prevent people from coming to the United States and they are who make the society different. In conclusion, the novel Fahrenheit 451 connects to 2017 because the government tries to shape society to a way they think will make the society a utopia. They think that doing wrong things will make it right.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The shaping of Society by Maria is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Nina 8 months ago

Dear Maria,

I really was moved by your connection between your two books. I especially liked the connection you made about both governments doing purposeful actions in order to create a change that they, personally, will make their societies better or more equal without thinking about what the people and citizens have to say. It is interesting how in your book they are destroying literature in order to create differences in intellectualism and in the current state our leader is turning away immigrants to create similarities in race and culture. Both however, cause people to be disregarded and oppressed. One sentence that stood out to me was ” Both of the governments think that their society will be “great” by doing the wrong things.” I was wondering if you could expand this even more especially around the word “things.” What “things” are governments doing? Are they breaking laws? Are they acting in a dehumanizing fashion? Are they disregarding or oppressing people? If you can define thing, you are argument will be stronger – remember ever word you choose has weight, especially when publishing online, so how can you choose the most precise words each time.

Thank you for your post and I look forward to reading more of your writing.