To begin, the novel Fahrenheit 451 connects to 2017 because people consent to those in power. In Fahrenheit 451 there are many examples of the lower class or working class obeying the first class or the people of power just because they are the ones who call the shots. One example of this is when the citizens listen to the government and help search for Guy Montag while he was a fugitive. On page 131-132, the citizens were told to “Police suggest entire population in the Elm Terrace area do as follows: Everyone in every house in every street open a front or rear door or look from the windows. The fugitive cannot escape if everyone in the next minute looks from his house. This shows that the government can force people to listen to them for what the people believe is better for the people and better for the country as a whole. They believe it is better to be susceptible and listen to the government without valid reason or without question because it just makes things easier. This can be compared to our government today and how they force the people to obey the laws and rulings without having a fair advantage. In the court of law it is very hard to win a case when a judge is unbias and aims towards one side if they have a personal relationship with the defendant. In conclusion, it is very clear that the novel is based off the United States government for the fact that it states that it is a wealthy country and is constantly in war while being corrupt enough to not fully allow freedom of speech while still saying that they do. The United States Of America is very corrupt and does not support their citizens in the way they should and make laws and rules that don’t represent everyone’s beliefs equally.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Rise and Rebel or Listen and Consent by Angel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Nina 6 months ago

Angel,

Thank you so much for your post and your connections between the novel and your world today. You made many interesting points around government, laws, and biases. However, I am a bit lost in your argument when you begin to introduce your evidence. Where does the evidence end? Though confusing, I do appreciate your argument around the power of consent. In many ways I feel this overpowers coercion because it is the masses, and if the masses questioned better possibly those in power would be “checked” by the people.

Thank you again and I look forward to reading future posts.