To begin, the novel divergent does connect to 2017 because in both worlds  fear has the biggest affect on the people which makes them consent.

One reason that supports my claim is that in both worlds fear is sorta used as a weapon so that people can consent. A piece of evidence that supports my claim that comes from the book and it states “learning how to think in the midst of fear”.  This is said from one of the dauntless members who is training tris when she just  joined dauntless. This quote matters because they are being trained to live with fear and in our world people live with fear because of trumps  plans on what he wants to do with America. Also a lot of people have already been deported by ICE because they don’t want to live their life in fear so they went  to go speak their mind. Another piece of evidence that further proves comes from the book.