To begin, the novel Uglies written by Scott Westerfeld connects to our current society because our society is currently being separated into two different groups. For example, Donald Trump is trying to remove all of the immigrants back to where they are originally from. Donald Trump connects to the Special’s & Dr. Cable because they are the ones who are trying to create a “better change” by separating people. The Specials and Dr. Cable are creating those who are ugly into a pretty and Donald Trump is making people turn back to who they are. What I mean by “turning them back to who they are” is for the people who migrated from where they come from is to go back to where they are from or to return back to their original homes. Another example is that the “uglies” and/ or the “immigrants” do not have as much rights as the “pretties” and/ or “non-immigrants”. Pretties have the rights to go to bed whenever they want to and they can do whatever they want and wear whatever they want. Uglies have a bed time and they are forced to wear certain clothes and they also are forced to do things that the Pretties don’t do. In our society, the “immigrants” can stay and do what they would like to do. Also, the “rich” and “wealthy” people also have many more opportunities than the “non- wealthy” or the people who are struggling. This all connects back on how our society and the society of the Uglies and how our society is a dystopian. Some may think that Donald Trump is doing what is best for America, but he does not know that there are families here that are going to be broken apart because of the immigration and separation that he is enforcing. Some may also think that what Dr. Cable and the Specials are doing is right but in reality, they are basically telling people under the age of 16 that they are ugly. In conclusion, I believe that both of the societies are almost similar but in different ways. Our society shouldn’t be separated the way Dr. Cable and the Specials separate the “pretties” and the “uglies”.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Connecting Uglies to Society by Kayla is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Nina 10 months ago

Kayla,

I really appreciated your post and it really spoke to me and my feelings right now about our current political state. I really liked how you draw such a strong connection between your book which is fiction, and our reality that is non fiction. The most powerful part of your writing was the counterclaims: “Some may think that Donald Trump is doing what is best for America, but he does not know that there are families here that are going to be broken apart because of the immigration and separation that he is enforcing. Some may also think that what Dr. Cable and the Specials are doing is right but in reality, they are basically telling people under the age of 16 that they are ugly.” It is really nice that you acknowledged the other perspective in your writing since many people did vote for President Trump and agree with his point. My acknowledging this point you are strengthening your own argument more.

I look forward to reading more of your thoughts!