Using Gale to find information on what I was studying was somewhat difficult. At first, I wasn’t specific enough, then I was too specific. Finally, after a few tries, I found it.

I didn’t truly know what I was looking for until I read it and something clicked in my brain.

The article I found was from Science Mag, titled Self-esteem in a 2007 issue of the World of Health.

It stated that “all people have a mental picture of themselves, their strengths and weaknesses … [refered to as] self-concept or self-image.” Forming through learned experiences from birth, “self-esteem is the value judgment or degree of worth a person attributes to his or her self-image.”

Beginning in the 1980’s, the idea that self-esteem and self-image connected to how people behaved in society, performed in school, reacted to peer pressure, and interacted with others, received a great deal of attention from experts in countless fields.

“No one is born with a self-image.”

Through one’s experiences and interactions, younger children tend to develop an internal picture of themselves with a determined value. A parent’s influence on their children’s self-esteem can be catastrophic. “Supportive parental behavior, including expressing realistic, age-appropriate expectations, encouraging children to try new things, praising their efforts, and refraining from comparing a child to siblings or other children are powerful factors in the development of high self-esteem in early childhood.”

On the other hand, it can be assumed that a mother or father who criticizes themselves or their children can ultimately result with a negative effect, for example, a lower self-esteem.

http://ic.galegroup.com/ic/scic/ReferenceDetailsPage/ReferenceDetailsWindow?disableHighlighting=false&displayGroupName=Reference&currPage=&scanId=&query=&source=&prodId=SCIC&search_within_results=&p=SCIC&mode=view&catId=&u=salt89600&limiter=&display-query=&displayGroups=&contentModules=&action=e&sortBy=&documentId=GALE%7CCV2191501157&windowstate=normal&activityType=&failOverType=&commentary=

CC BY-SA 4.0 (I’m)Perfect by Malia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ashton 8 months ago

I find it interesting that you added in the point that a parent’s criticism of themselves can affect a child’s self esteem. This is incredibly accurate and I think one of the most underestimated influences on a child’s(particularly young girls) self esteem. Hearing your mother constantly say she is fat when she looks beautiful to you will lead you to believe that you are not good enough as you are either. I believe a parent plays a bigger role in their child’s self esteem than even social media and advertising. Thanks for your insight on this topic.

2. Maria Hernandez 8 months ago

Dear Malia,
    I enjoyed reading about the topic you chose. I would’ve really liked it if you would have added more details and statistics. I agree that children can develop an early high self esteem all depending on their childhood. If they get criticized at an early age it lowers their self esteem. I believe children should have an early high self esteem so they know they matter and can achieve a lot at an early age. This can all lead to less crimes, higher test grades, fewer gangs etc. I hope you keep posting Malia. I’m looking foward to read about what you write next.