This past week we have been working with the Gale website to find more sources about our research projects. I did not have very much luck with them, but I have been looking up more info on the correlation of music to emotion. One thing that is very prominent is that it is a bit subjective. This means that the memories and things that we are reminded of when we hear music (that elicit emotion) are dependent on the person. This is why many people who have heard a song when they are sad forever associate it with sadness. Certain sounds appeal to our base instincts, but more complicated sounds are more subjective to the person.

Photo by susivinh

CC BY-SA 4.0 Is music subjective or are responses to certain sounds instinctive? by Alea is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.