For my research project I have been researching why the mortality rate for breast cancer has lowered so much. From 1975-2010, the mortality of breast cancer declined from 32 per 100,000 per year to 21 per 100,000 per year. Now, in 2017, the mortality rate is expected to drop even more. To clarify, since 1991, deaths due to breast cancer have decreased 25%, meaning 2.1 million fewer people died from breast cancer.

After doing some research on gale, I found that the cure rate is higher than ever at around 90%. There have been many recent improvements in diagnosing breast cancer and treating it. Of course, it is still a potentially lethal disease, researchers are doing better than ever before with all different subtypes of breast cancer. Now, they can look at a woman and her individual tumor and try to customize and personalize treatments for her particular case.

However, it is said that the decline in breast cancer mortality is not likely due to advances in prevention and screening, it is most likely due to the drastic improvements in treatments. It is also said that there is a possibility that the breast cancers themselves are changing as a consequence of evolving changing patterns.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Lowering of Breast Cancer Mortality Rate by Emma is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Nikki 10 months ago

I really enjoyed reading this! It is great to hear that more and more people are surviving breast cancer. I found it interesting that the survival rate isn’t increasing because of preventative measures, it’s because of improvement in treatments. I hope we will see progress like this for other cancers as well!

2. Maddie 10 months ago

Emma,
    This is amazing, wonderful news! I didn’t know any of this and your post really excited me! Thank you for taking the time to post this on youth voices because if you hadn’t I wouldn’t have learned this exciting information for women. Keep up the awesome work, and keep researching deeper into this topic because I feel like you could go really deep into this and maybe even make something of it!

3. Alex 10 months ago

This is a very uplifting and happy post Emma! I have had many of my family friends receive breast cancer, and it seems that all of them have beaten it. What about other cancers? Is the mortality rate improving for them too? Great post!