Coffee has been a researched topic for a long time and it contains to be researched. A while back coffee research held many negative effects. According to the Mayo Clinic  it was said that coffee had direct correlations with things such as increasing and causing heart disease, cancer, and the ability to stunt ones growth.  However, it is not said that coffee instead can help protect against type 2 diabetes, liver disease and cancer, Parkinson’s disease, and a decreased risk of depression. So, how could these claims be so drastically different? Well in earlier studies researchers were not taking into consideration the other things coffee drinkers were consuming. Back then coffee drinkers were more likely to smoke too, so a lot of these claims could actually be linked to the effects of smoking or the effects of smoking and drinking coffee (not that those necessarily have a correlation.) And the same goes for being inactive.

authority nutrition reiterates many of the claims the Mayo clinic makes. And overall makes the claim that the long term effects of coffee are beneficial while some short term effects can be negative. Authority Nutrition also goes into detail about the nutrients coffee contains, things like Vitamins B2, B5, B1 and more. Nutrients is usually something that doesn’t come to mind when thinking about coffee, but it is definitely beneficial.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Coffee Research by Genevieve is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Yuliana 6 months ago

Dear Genevieve,
    I am really interested in your post. Coffee can have positive or negative effects. It’s been in the news a couple of times that coffee can be beneficial but also life threatening. Coffee can help us to avoid being sick. Such as reducing pain, reducing suicide risk and depression, etc. In many other ways people argue that coffee is bad for you. For example when you drink too much you can get insomnia but we also have to control the amount we take in because our body may not be able to handle a large intake. Coffee is really interesting it can have be good or bad the possibilities are endless. There has been many close research on coffee to see why or why not it’s beneficial. Thank you for you project it was really fascinating.

2. Lula 6 months ago

This topic is interesting in that it is relevant to lives of Americans. A large number of Americans drink coffee on a daily basis. I found it striking that there were so many positive results of drinking coffee. As you further your research, I suggest you find studies that demonstrate the effect of coffee on people of different age groups and what are the long term effects of drinking coffee. I feel that this will give more foundation to research and show readers real- life examples.

3. Malia 6 months ago

Genevieve, I really liked the topic you chose. I never knew that coffee could have that many positive outcomes. I was hoping I could blame my small size on the coffee I didn’t actually drink when I was younger, in hopes that I would somehow grow another 3 or 4 inches; however, it was still interesting to find out that most of the “side effects” were the result of smoking. I am very interested in what else you find out in your research to come.

4. Olivia 6 months ago

I never thought about vitamins being in coffee. People always say that regularly drinking coffee is bad for you and causes addiction, so it’s nice to see research on benefits.

5. Lily 6 months ago

Genevieve, as an avid coffee drinker, I am very interested in what you have to say. While I’m sure there are both benefits and consequences to coffee, it’s strange that no one really focuses on the benefits. I, like you said, have never thought about the vitamins in coffee. Perhaps something else you can research is the effect of coffee in pregnancy? Just a thought. Overall, I really like what you’ve said.