How will the world react when there is further increase of people that live their lives in autopilot? Autopilot being a state at which one does not see their surroundings, when one makes choices subconsciously with no effort to thinking about it, and when only a few emotions are required. This is what the overall goal is but to fully understand the outcome of selective emotions in daily life, I had to find out what emotions are and how they might’ve helped us throughout history.

Emotions are overall accepted as natural but the function can be argued in two ways. First argument is that they contribute to our well being, helps us continue our moral behaviour, and motivates us to progress. The English naturalist and geologist, Charles Darwin, known best for “survival of the fittest” argued in his theory of evolution that emotions play a great part of the continuation of evolution. Over time we’ve  only accepted the “survival of the fittest” part of his theory, which he only said twice in his book, and ignored the “love” part when he said it 95 times. He tried to say that emotions have helped us progress in the changing world, from survival to adaption of our surroundings.

The Second argument is that emotions have been passed down by our ancestors and are a residue of our animal nature, they are a distraction and even obstacle to civilized life. The American philosopher and psychologist, William James, believed emotions were sensations caused by physiological disruptions. In other words emotions can be simply put as two main things. One being pleasure and the second being discomfort.

This is only the beginning of my research about emotions but so far we can infer that emotions do play a great part in life in a good or bad way. But it is still unknown if limiting emotions could be beneficial or harmful in daily life. Could it be that feeling less emotions help us progress and achieve a greater world for all?  

Source:

Solomon, Robert C. “Emotions.” New Dictionary of the History of Ideas, edited by Maryanne Cline Horowitz, vol. 2, Charles Scribner’s Sons, 2005, pp. 649-651. Student Resources in Contextlink.galegroup.com/apps/doc/CX3424300225/SUIC?u=salt89600&xid=e23e4c39. Accessed 13 Feb. 2017.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Are emotions good or bad? by Miguel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Arya 8 months ago

Miguel,
    I enjoyed reading your post about emotions. For quite some time, I have also wondered whether or not having emotions is beneficial. If crying is supposed to help those who are sad, and screaming is good for relieving stress and bottled-up anger, then why are both of those actions frowned upon in public? I try to have no reservations expressing emotions when I am by myself and feel angry, sad, or just plain glad. However, I reserve my emotions greatly when in public, unless I am laughing at a joke. I did a little research on how to deal with negative emotions, and I found a great video by ASAPscience on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGglw8eAikY . Here, they explain the hormones released in one’s brain while in physical or emotional pain. If emotions were to be “disabled,” Anterior Cingulate Cortex in the brain would serve no purpose! By completely negating this area, only the “happy” hormones, such as dopamine and adrenaline, would be released. No matter the origin of emotions, I feel they are necessary for survival; they help us relate to other people and help us determine how to respond in certain situations. I hope to learn more about why we have emotions.

2. Breanna 8 months ago

Dear Miguel, I am very interested on you post of emotions. You showed me something that I didn’t know about emotions, you showed me that emotions contribute to our well being, our moral behavior, and motivates us to progress. You also showed me that emotions helped us progress on changing the world from survival to adaption. The last thing you have showed me and that I have learned, is that our emotions are passed down by out ancestors. This was a great post Miguel I learned a lot about emotions, and I hope you keep posting these kinds of posts.

3. Andrew 8 months ago

Good job Miguel!
    Well done for sure, and you seem to be very interested and headed in the right direction. I enjoy the subject so I’m excited to see what you say at the end of your research.
    In your quest for determining what are emotions, consider that everything “we” as humans feel is a chemical reaction in the body. Emotions are a quantifiable chemical reaction that exists in the body. Whether or not we have quantified all emotions does not mean they are “unquantifiable” (apparently this isn’t a word). That is factual, but the reason as to why we have emotions is speculation. I believe most biologists and academics would say that emotions were developed because they help individual make decisions that continue the success of the whole group rather than just the individual. Interesting stuff… I won’t bore you.
    In regards to your research question, I think that technology has in a sense, numbed our knowledge and emotions, but it has also made them stronger and more vibrant than ever. People today struggle to travel without GPS and are not good at noticing subtle differences compared to previous generations. But, science and scientific understanding has been progressing exponentially. Today there is more passionate and diverse music than ever, even if the only stuff you hear on the radio is american Pop music.
    Here is a video I recommend you watch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD0x7ho_IYc), it gives a unique perspective about technology. I used to believe that technology, while making science better, made society and humans worse, but through lots of exploration, I believe the opposite now.
    I’m excited to see what you learn and what you conclude.