In research to answer the question, does the prison experience cause psychological issues, I have found the following information about the prison life.  

According to Prisons, an article from Opposing Viewpoints Online, one of the biggest factors determining prison life are the rights of prisoners. As expected the rights of a convict are few when compared to the rights of the general public, but their right to a basic standard of living is conserved. However their right to shelter is compromised because of the overcrowding that is occurring in federal prisons. For instance most prisons are operating at 35% above the maximum capacity for their facilities.

In a similar way their right to privacy is compromised through the searches performed by guards. Most prisons read the mail that enters and exits the prison, and conduct strip searches to add to the invasion of privacy. Although these may be measures to ensure safety, guards abuse this power and are not taken to trial or prosecuted for it. As I discovered in my past research this abuse of power, invasion of privacy, and overcrowding are characteristics of the prison life that cause psychological issues.

Therefore many of those have been through the prison system have created cases to bring about change in the prison. Many of these cases call for improving the standard of living for inmates, which coincide with their rights. Hence the reforms ask for cleaner buildings, better food, adequate health care, uncensored mail, and the end of physical abuse.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Prison Life by Giselle is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Emma 8 months ago

Giselle,
    You are very brave to do research on such a hot topic like this. I think your paper will be very interesting and will leave a lot of your viewers enlightened on what really goes on in prison. No one really cares about inmates solely because they are in prison. I am glad you are bringing light to the situation. Good luck on your paper, I can’t wait to read more.

2. Sarah 8 months ago

Giselle, I find this very interesting. I never really considered the state of prisoners and whether or not they get treated fairly. I think this is very interesting and important. I like how you found out facts about prison life and then correlated them yourself with psychological issues. I think you should try to find research on the other side of things just so there is a fair bias in your research. I’m intrigued and can’t wait to find out more.

3. Robin 8 months ago

Giselle,
    I really REALLY like this topic! You are very courageous to do research about people who are normally shunned by society. I also really like the idea of checking out the mental technicalities that are on both sides of the law. Good luck!

4. Danielle 8 months ago

Giselle, I really like ur topic and how this Is something that is not necessarily often discussed. I think this is an important topic to adress because prisoners are often cast aside as worthless and we need to be aware to nake sure they are still treated with human dignity.

5. Erin 8 months ago

This is a very interesting topic! I think there is a lot of potential. I think you should definitely research more into punishment vs. rehabilitation in prison, which is quite the controversial topic right now and relates to the rights of the prisoners and the psychological effects of prison.

6. Mayree 8 months ago

Giselle, I enjoyed reading about your topic. Prison I believe is somethin we as people especially government put on the back burner, especially the way in which inmates are treated. It was good to get a new insight of what is lacking in the system. Yes, it is true that prisoners are not suppose to be waited on, partly due to the facts they are in their to serve their time and think about the actions they have made. But, it doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be respected and seen as humans. Those that have power in the prisons shouldn’t abuse it. They need to do their jobs the right way. Can’t wait to hear more about your discoveries on this topic.

7. Vanessa 8 months ago

Dear, Giselle
    I think the topic that you are researching is a very interesting topic that needs to have some light shone over it. The thing that makes this so interesting is the fact that the police force is abusing their power and we as a whole need to come up with ways that we can put an end to it. Another thing that i found interesting is the standard of living that they get. How would you make that better for them? How hard would it be? How long do you think it will take?

8. Grace 8 months ago

Giselle- this is a very interesting topic and I’m glad you decided to research this area. I think this topic leaves a lot of room for discussion and study, there are a lot of topics of study involved in this paper. I’m interested in seeing if you find any more answers to the questions you asked. Like what what, if any psychological issues are caused by prison. I wonder if there is any way prisons could change some procedures causing less psychological harm to the prisoners?