global warming photoThere is alarming evidence showing that habitats are dying due to global warming, temperature changes, and man made problems.  The Great Barrier Reef is one habitat that is it great danger.  Carbon dioxide emissions are warming the water and making it hard for coral reefs to grow.  Furthermore, when carbon dioxide is dissolved into ocean water, it becomes carbonic acid.  This attacks the skeletons and shells of corals, keeping them from building up their skeletons and weakening them from protection against algae, which will eventually take over.  There is also a chemical force in the ocean that helps corals build up their skeleton and with carbon emissions, by mid century there won’t be any more chemical forces left and coral reefs will be gone. Carbonic Acid affects not just the coral but any marine animals with a shell as well.  Without making any changes to these current carbon dioxide emissions, the Great Barrier Reef could be completely dead by mid century.   The first step to recovery with this problem is awareness that this is a big problem and we need to do everything in our power to preserve the Great Barrier Reef for generations to come.

Photo by The Library of Congress

CC BY-SA 4.0 Is Global Warming a Hoax? by Caroline is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.