It might just be me, but I feel like my mother and I have totally different senses of humor. I prefer witty comebacks and snappy sex jokes, whereas my mother prefers her comedy to be a little more “slow”–where a situation builds up into something funny. One of the greatest ways to tickle your funny bone in America is to watch sitcoms. So why does my mom like “Cheers!” so much more than “How I Met Your Mother”? Why does she prefer that long form comedy more than short form? By looking at different articles and watching different clips from three sitcoms, I want to look at the differences between one sitcom from each decade from 1980 until now. There are also major differences–in romances, characters, protagonists and situations that the audience will find funny.

How Sitcoms Have Changed
The Ultimate Recipe for a “Good” Sitcom

CC BY-SA 4.0 How Do Sitcoms Reflect our Sense of Humor? by Robin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.