My research paper is on athletic general managers and how they go about getting to their position, which is a question I am very interested in. Some questions arise when it comes to NBA GMs and NFL GMs, for example do they need to have a background in playing the sport to quickly rise up in the ranks, or do they need to be a retired player to be looked at more important than others. Some aspects I already know about the general manager role is that having a background playing the sport helps, but you didn’t need to be the starting point guard at Kentucky to be looked at as a serious candidate. In some cases you just have to have a great amount of knowledge, for example recognizing talent in college, discussing contracts with players agents, and hoping players are a good fit. In the gale research website I came across an article about the 49ers new GM John Lynch,Stroud, Rick. “LYNCH IS SURPRISE HIRE AS 49ERS GM; Former Bucs safety has no experience in the front office.” Tampa Bay Times [St. Petersburg, FL], 30 Jan. 2017, p. 1. Opposing Viewpoints in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A479315605/OVIC?u=salt89600&xid=26b9079a. Accessed 7 Feb. 2017 ,and how he has no office experience but is a college legend in the game of football and I believe the college legend plays a bigger role than having experience in managing a team. This goes to prove my point and how owners of teams are more focused on the player side of athletics than smart management of a team. I can’t wait to keep searching this topic and find more examples of GM’s and the deciding process they go through. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 General Managers by Tom is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Mason 6 months ago

Tom, really cool topic and I think that it is something that can be applied to much of the world of high respect – high class positions. With many of the Presidents, CEO’s and corporate leaders of the world today, many fall into these positions in a very random manner. Some (like the NFL or other national sports agencies) work their way through the corporate ladder, but many fall into these positions with no prior affiliation to the organization. I think this is a really cool project and I am excited to see the results and the end product of your research.

2. Jack 6 months ago

Tom, really interesting topic. I, myself, have wondered how one becomes a general manager because that has always been a dream job for me. I would be very interested to read your final research paper to find out how I can get into player scouting and team managing. Your paper might really give me an edge into getting in to that field one day, and if it does, I would be eternally grateful.