Ask any high school student, and they’ll likely say they know what Odd Future is and may even be able to rattle off some members of the group or a few songs. Yet the question remains: what makes this group of B-grade artists hold such a strong foothold in todays teen culture? Blacklisted by Sasha Frere-Jones analyzes the groups power as coming from the fact that nearly every song touches on topics typically ignored or uses phrases of such an aggressive manner that the group has created a blunt, asocial sound found nowhere else. The groups success can be attributed to the fact that these kids talent has provoked them to produce music with the pivotal theme of any teenage life: disapproval. Critics argue their sound is poorly formulated and their use of language vulgar. But isn’t everything a teenager does and loves poorly formulated and vulgar? The ten-man group has successfully encapsulated the sound of adolescence: disapproval. The next question is if the group will be able to continue their success with the upcoming teens.

http://go.galegroup.com/ps/retrieve.do?tabID=T001&resultListType=RESULT_LIST&searchResultsType=MultiTab&searchType=BasicSearchForm&currentPosition=1&docId=GALE%7CA242672845&docType=Critical+essay&sort=RELEVANCE&contentSegment=&prodId=LitRC&contentSet=GALE%7CA242672845&searchId=R1&userGroupName=salt89600&inPS=true

CC BY-SA 4.0 Fueled by Disapproval: Odd Future and Hip-Hop by Maggie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Seth 8 months ago

This is a very interesting topic. A lot of the members of Odd Future have left the group to pursue solo careers. You may want to research if there is as much interest in these solo careers as there was for the group. I agree that their sound is very “blunt” and I’m very curious what interesting things you will find as you continue your research.