I have being looking at if the stigma that the disabled are inferior affects the opportunities they are given and how they are treated. Through my research I have found that for the most part, private schools are very accommodating in helping the disabled. They usually have aids and help ensure the disabled are part of all the students’ activities. They work to try to help the disabled but usually work to not let the disabled feel/be treated as inferior. Whereas public school are not as accommodating. The government is to blame for this. Public school are told what to do by the government. The government has passed laws such as IDEA (individuals with disabilities education act) to help ensure that the disabled get to go to school. It would appear that even though there are laws protecting the disabled, the government both state and national are not clear on their expectations for the public school. How do you view the disabled? Do you think the disabled are treated the way they should be treated?

Bibliography:
Strauss, Valerie. “The telling letter Betsy DeVos wrote to clarify her position on US disabilities law.” Washington Post, 29 Jan. 2017. Global Issues in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A479226087/GIC?u=salt89600&xid=ad85e3ee. Accessed 9 Feb. 2017.
Brown, Emma. “Supreme Court to decide: What level of education do public schools legally owe to students with disabilities?” Washington Post, 10 Jan. 201Global Issues in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A476950300/GIC?u=salt89600&xid=09d2e733
Disabled photo

CC BY-SA 4.0 Does the stigma that the disabled are “inferior” affect their potential growth in society? by Ellisandra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.