For my topic, using the Gale researcher was slightly difficult to find the articles I needed. However, I was able to find two where I was able to find some great information. For example, one article I found talks about Brands. Specifically, the history of brands and how they develop. They say that consumers do not pay for the product itself so much as the ideas associated with the brand name. For example, people think of athletes like Michael Jordan when they see a Nike brand, and therefore buy Nike in order to feel more athletic. Another article I found talks about addiction. Not necessarily a brand addiction, but addiction itself. The article talks about how people can spend a ton of money because of their addiction. This relates to my topic because people who are addicted to brands might waste a lot of money trying to get specific brands regardless of the price. This ties into how people will buy the resell value of supreme.

“Brand Names.” Gale Encyclopedia of U.S. Economic History, edited by Thomas Riggs, 2nd ed., vol. 1, Gale, 2015, pp. 168-169. Student Resources in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/CX3611000118/SUIC?u=salt89600&xid=0e45360f. Accessed 7 Feb. 2017.

“Understanding Addiction: Why Do Some People Become Addicted?” Mental Health Weekly Digest, 29 Apr. 2013, p. 173. Science in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A328677455/SCIC?u=salt89600&xid=8bbb208b. Accessed 7 Feb. 2017.

Photo by TerryJohnston

CC BY-SA 4.0 Brand Addiction by Ben is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Tom 10 months ago

This is a great topic and how people chase after brands is great to research and I can’t wait to see what you find out about people and their brand addiction.

2. Marren 10 months ago

I agree with what Seiji and Jack said! I think this topic will do you well but I also feel it will be challenging at times. Your topic is super interesting and I find it really intriguing to see our generation/ Society go crazy for some brands. Im excited to see the completed piece.

3. Jack 10 months ago

Beautifully said, Ben. I like how you are truly looking into the psychology of your everyday hype beast. It is going to be interesting to find out the true intentions behind these brands; Is it art, or money? Good luck man.

4. Seiji 10 months ago

Wow Ben this is such a cool topic!! I feel like not many people actually pay attention to the pull brands have on customers. You got this bud, i believe in you, this paper will be fire