In my discovery to understand and conclude if Veganism is beneficial to ones health. I found an article explaining that a plant based diet is beneficial for your a health. In the article it states that a plant based diet is better than a western style diet. In fact, many diseases like cancer, diabetes, and obesity can be prevented with eating the right types of foods. The article also tells a story about a man named Dilip Bafna who became fully vegan after his battle with dairy, because it caused an upset stomach. Being vegan is a lifestyle if its beneficial to ones health, would you make the switch?

http://ic.galegroup.com/ic/ovic/ViewpointsDetailsPage/ViewpointsDetailsWindow?disableHighlighting=false&displayGroupName=Viewpoints&currPage=&scanId=&query=&source=&prodId=OVIC&search_within_results=&p=OVIC%3AGIC&mode=view&catId=&u=salt89600&limiter=&display-query=&displayGroups=&contentModules=&action=e&sortBy=&documentId=GALE%7CEJ3010849212&windowstate=normal&activityType=&failOverType=&commentary=

CC BY-SA 4.0 Benefits of Being Vegan by Mayree is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ben 4 months ago

I thought this post was very interesting. I never would have thought of becoming vegan until I read this. However I do not think it would be very easy to make the switch.

2. Gigi 6 months ago

I think the topic of veganism is very intriguing and I personally believe that being vegan can be beneficial your own health, to our environment, and it prevents factory farmed animals from being further abused and tortured. I think that if you had enough money to buy the large quantities of vegetables, fruits, nuts, etc, then being vegan would be a great diet. I think that our world is eating too many processed foods or too many steroid-pumped animals, and all of this is really not good for our bodies. Dairy causes a lot of inflammation in the stomach and red meat that is eaten too often has so many negatives to your health. So I do in fact agree that if you can do veganism efficiently, then it is a very healthy diet.

3. Trevor 6 months ago

Marree,
    I find this very interesting. I am curious what is considered to be the “standard western style diet”. I don’t think I could ever be a vegan but I commend people for trying. Ive always wondered if going vegan was actually healthy or if it was just a trend.

4. Maddie 6 months ago

Mayree,
    I have always contemplated going vegan, but it would be so hard for me as I am accustomed to eating all of the animal products in my diet. I would love to reap the benefits of eating a vegan diet but the transition would have to be steady for me, and would take some time. I didn’t know western diets were linked with cancer and that being vegan decreases your risks and I can definitely see that being a motivational factor in a possible transition! Thank you for sharing your work and I hope to see you posting more about this topic!!

5. Mimi 6 months ago

Mayree I think this is a really interesting topic! Veganism is very popular right now but I don’t know that much about the health benefits. I’m curious to see what other research you find. Good job!

6. Marren 6 months ago

Mayree,
    I think your topic is really interesting and a topic that will result in a good paper! I also think that the research you’ve done so far is really resourceful and to me makes your topic even more interesting.

7. Annika 6 months ago

I’m not positive if my last comment on this went through so here we are again. I think it would be interesting to try veganism for a while but I don’t think that I could stand it for too long, ice cream is too good. It would also be interesting to look at the cost of being a vegan and how much more they need to spend at the grocery store. It may also be cool to look at the effects on the earth with a vegan diet (no need to process meats and animals)!

8. Suzanna 6 months ago

I was vegan for a while and I did a lot of research on the topic. I found the same information that being vegan can prevent some of the major killing diseases in the US. When I researched the opposing views of veganism a lot of controversy was around not getting enough protein and calcium on the diet. How do advocates of veganism defend this argument? Do you think that if more people were educated on veganism and the benefits it gives, that more people would go vegan?

9. Emma 6 months ago

Mayree,
    I really enjoyed reading this post. I found it very interesting. I always knew that veganism was good for you I just didn’t know it was better for you than a western style diet. I can’t wait to read more of your posts! Good luck on the rest of your research.

10. Grace 6 months ago

Mayree,

I am also looking at veganism and its growing popularity. I think I also read that article regarding the man who struggled with dairy. I am in agreement with you that a plant-based diet can be beneficial to some, however I did read an article about a mom who noticed her kids were malnourished as a result of being vegan. Extreme diets can be difficult for any small child. As with any diet, I think veganism can be beneficial to some and not to others. Good luck in the rest of your research!

11. Grace 6 months ago

Mayree- this is such an interesting topic because I’ve always wondered if it is beneficial to your health or just a rising trend. Its very eye opening to see that it helped someone who couldn’t have dairy. I’ll be interested in seeing what other research you come up with and what else you are able to find on the benefits of this diet.