My research question is, assuming meditation alters brain pathways, what are the consequences and benefits of those alterations? Thus far, I have mainly focused my research on the effects in general. Everything I have found suggests that meditation brings nothing but benefits. Some of these benefits include reducing the risk of a heart attack, stroke, or death by 47% over five years of 15-20 minute daily meditation. It has been found to promote “well-being by fostering cognitive and emotional processes”. It drastically improves working memory and attention.  Meditation has specifically been found to enhance four basic functions of the brain: “sustained attention, monitoring faculty (to detect mind wandering), the ability to disengage from a distracting object without further involvement (attentional switching), and the ability to redirect focus to the chosen object (selective attention).” Compared to the control group in which no meditation was practiced, these groups had drastic increases in positive areas of their life. After discovering these studies, it is becoming clearer to me that meditation is a very beneficial practice that all should look into. 

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2009/11/meditation-halves-risk-heart-attack

Boccia, Maddalena, et al. “The meditative mind: a comprehensive meta-analysis of MRI studies.” BioMed Research International, 2015. Science in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A458161400/SCIC?u=salt89600&xid=88c584c4. Accessed 12 Feb. 2017.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Meditation: A Beneficial Practice by Lily is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Heather 3 weeks ago

Hi Lily,
    I really enjoyed reading this. I have always wanted to try meditation as someone who has a lot of stress and doesn’t know how to cope with it. I just don’t have the time to dedicate towards it. Hopefully I can manage to get this time in because it seems like it would be beneficial.

2. Montana 8 months ago

I love this topic! I don’t do meditation often but when I do I feel more awake and aware of my surroundings. I usually do meditation in my yoga practices and it helps me increase my mood and motivation. I can’t wait to hear more about what you find about this topic!

3. Caroline 8 months ago

I really like the info about meditations if you can tell 🙂 This is so interesting to learn about. Yesterday, I did a one hour yoga session and just from that I could feel a substantial difference in my mental well being.

4. Abi 8 months ago

Lilly, this is a topic that relates to all of us.It could be neat if you looked at people like monks that mediate for a large amount time in their lives and how it impacts them. You could also look into the effects it has on youth.

5. Chloe 8 months ago

This is a very interesting topic Lily 🙂 I enjoy meditation and have seen it transform some of my family members, reducing their anxiety and depression. I usually practice meditation after yoga, but just having a daily practice of meditation has helped me reduce anxiety, as well as increase motivation. I am excited to see what else you learn, good luck!!