We use water in almost everything we do every day of our lives. We drink it, we cook with it, we bathe in it, we grow food with it, we clean our cars with it, the list goes on. Considering all the things we use water for every day, it’s scary to think that our water scarcity is growing rapidly by the minute. The Journal Science Advances just discovered that nearly 4 billion people, nearly two-thirds of the world’s population, face severe freshwater scarcity.

The United Nations website states, “Water scarcity is both a natural and human-made phenomenon. There is enough freshwater on the planet for seven billion people but it is distributed unevenly and too much of it is wasted, polluted and unsustainably managed.” If we can find a way to use what water we have more evenly around the world, we can conserve what fresh water we have left. Doing this will prevent us from facing one of the most dangerous problems we will ever encounter as a human race.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Fresh Water Scarcity by Savannah is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.