Atomic Bomb photo
After doing some research about the Manhattan Project I discovered some things I didn’t know about it. For example upon reaching New York in 1939, Niels Bohr alerted Einstein to the possibility of Germany developing an atomic bomb. Along with several colleagues, Bohr persuaded Einstein to write a letter to President Franklin D. Roosevelt, suggesting that the United States initiate research into the development of an atomic bomb before Germany developed one.

It was not until the bombing of Pearl Harbor in December of 1941 that the United States entered World War II, at which point the possibility of creating such a military weapon appeared more relevant to government and military officials. The result was the organization in May of 1942 of the secret Manhattan Project , which included several teams of American and British scientists conducting research at such disparate sites as the University of Chicago and Los Alamos, New Mexico

Another thing I learned was the first test atomic bomb, called Trinity, was exploded in the New Mexico desert on July 16, 1945. On August 6, an atomic bomb was dropped on the Japanese city of Hiroshima. Three days later, another atomic bomb was dropped on the Japanese city of Nagasaki. After these bombs were dropped , Japan agreed to an unconditional surrender to the Allies, thus ending WW2
go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?p=LitRC&sw=w&u=salt89600&v=2.1&id=GALE%7CH1430005574&it=r&asid=c27ebdd6f66a446c8ae3678e7d55fe4d

go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?p=LitRC&sw=w&u=salt89600&v=2.1&id=GALE%7CA218112265&it=r&asid=fb430282c5b8bbc12e73a365dd38f7ae

Photo by San Diego Air & Space Museum Archives

CC BY-SA 4.0 Research Regarding the Manhattan Project by Danny is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.