My topic that I am writing my research paper is on Superfoods. Superfoods are a special category of food that provide extra health benefits. An example are blueberries because they are rich in antioxidants. Another superfood is kale because of its high density of iron. What I wanted to know more about is the long term benefits of superfoods and how they can prevent cancer and other disease. According to Student Resources,Studies suggest the blueberry anthocyanidins protect against neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s, and can slow and even reverse age-related memory loss and decline in cognitive function” (Better Nutrition, 2007). Fish, such as salmon, contain essential fatty acids that are key to decreases the risk of heart attacks and strokes. Spinach is rich in lutein, which is an antioxidant that fights off cancer cells,  and  betacarotene which also combats cancer. Tomatoes are “loaded with lycopene, an antioxidant that reduces the risk of prostate, breast, lung and other cancers, and has heart-protective effects” (Better Nutrition, 2007). So as you can see, superfoods get their title from the extra boost they provide your immune system. 

Photo by Lori Greig

Photo by Lori Greig

CC BY-SA 4.0 Cancer-Fighting Superfoods by Anna is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.