Emotions are a significant fundamental part of humanity. With them we have created societies and progressed forward through the course of history. But what happens when we begin to feel less and less daily?

In our current studies we have found that we’ve always struggled with going into autopilot when we repeat a routine too much and not having anything out of the ordinary snap us out of it. But we also found it could be increasing due to the lack of interaction with other people and lack of awareness of our surroundings due to one thing. You’ve probably guessed it is cellphones, the device created to form greater connections to humans all over the world. How ironic, right?

But how do we know this? Well, in a experiment conducted by Ben Sarb and Breanne Wise-Swanson called Failure to See Money on a Tree. The experiment was conducted by placing money on a tree at a campus but they lots of people in autopilot due to their cellphones.

Since there is an increase cellular development to “connect” us we will begin to see an increase in people in autopilot, with emotions becoming rare. What happens then? How will the entire world react to this?

Sources: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mental-mishaps/201404/the-dangers-going-autopilot

CC BY-SA 4.0 The human autopilot by Miguel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Veronica 9 months ago

Dear Miguel,

Your writing was really engaging and I liked that you were questioning me, as the reader, to think about our daily activities with cellphones. Although I do not have an answer for how people may emulate their emotions in the future, people may need to re-define what an emotion is. For starters people decades from now may need to compare what is considered to be an authentic emotions versus an artificial one. Moreover, I do believe that people, do more often now than previously is, go into autopilot.