I have chosen to research the jihadist  movement and its beginnings. As terrorism around the world is on the rise, many of the attacks have been claimed to be connected fundamentalist Muslims who have a jihadist mission.These attacks and the rise of Islamophobia has spurred a lot of controversy and false claims that need to be clarified. There are lot of truths and myths that exist in our world today about extremist Muslims and their mission of jihad.

In  my research, I have found that the term “jihad” has been mistranslated to mean “holy war,” but it literally means struggling or striving in Arabic (http://islamicsupremecouncil.org/understanding-islam/legal-rulings/5-jihad-a-misunderstood-concept-from-islam.html). The jihadist movement is religiously described by the Quran and teachings of the Prophet Muhammad (s),as the internal as well as external efforts to be good Muslims or believers as well as working to inform people about the faith of Islam.” The jihadist movement has been morphed by the rise of political Islam in the 19th and 20th centuries, and has been turned into an act of violence.

As I continue my research I will be answering questions such as what do Islamic leaders such as Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have to say about Jihadist? Are Jihadists only fundamentalist Muslims ? and where do Jihadist come from?

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Jihadist movements: truths and myths by Lula is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Lily 6 months ago

Lula, I think this is a really good topic to research. I didn’t know the true meaning of “jihad”, but simply took it with a negative connotation because that’s the status quo. By writing this research paper you are challenging that. I think that this is a very important topic to be delving into, especially with where politics is right now.