In the game of American Football, the offense has become a sort of art form. To outmatch defenses is still the hardest thing to do in the sport, so throughout the years, this “art form” has continuously evolved to put up more and more points. But how specifically has the offense changed from the beginning of football? How has the offense developed over the years to what it is today? That is what I am trying to figure out.

According to besttickets.com, offenses have become more reliant on the passing game more and more as time as gone on. The passing game has contributed to more plays run, more yards, and more points per game due to a number of reasons. For one, it has a greater  opportunity for big plays, averaging 6.6 more yards per completion that rushing attempt in 2012. Also, for every incompletion, the clock stops. Thus, the more pass plays are run, the more plays are run in general. More plays equal more opportunities to score, increasing offensive output. This is proven by the fact that in the 2012 season, 8 of the top 10 scoring offenses were in the upper half of the league in passing yards. Another big change to the offense in the last decade, especially in college football, is the no-huddle spread offense. The no-huddle, up-tempo, spread offense has taken over the college football landscape and has skyrocketed the number of points scored. Again this plays into the fact that offenses can run more plays if they stop huddling. The no-huddle spread offense also does not allow the defense to make substitutions between plays, causing player fatigue and mismatches on the defense that the offense can take advantage. Defense have adjusted accordingly though, putting more and more nickel and dime packages on the field, meaning more defensive backs on the field to counteract the number of wide receivers on the field. But according to footballscoop.com, offenses are further adjusting evolving the no-huddle spread offense into a no-huddle pro style offense, the difference being that there are more tight ends and running backs on the field. These players present a mismatch for all the defensive backs on the field, while experiencing still less fatigue than the defense. Some of the best colleges are running this type of offense like Alabama, USC, and Arkansas.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Art of the Offense by Jack is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ben 6 months ago

I think Alex and Cy (of course) bring up a great point. The no huddle offense is really starting to become very common. Most defenses cannot keep up simply because they are too fast. Maybe in the near future the no huddle will become a thing for all offenses. However, then would defenses have to adapt? or would a new offense be created so a defense could not predict the no huddle?

2. Cy 6 months ago

I second Alex^ Will huddling up to call a play be a thing of the past in the near future?

3. Alex 7 months ago

Do you think that the no huddle spread offense is the best way to utilize the players on the field? Good job on this post. I definitely learned something.