/Network/Servers/imaging.judgememorial.com/Volumes/Repo/StudentHome/gl17172/Desktop/Unknown.jpeg

Coffee has been one of the biggest trends for a long time now. On every other corner there’s a coffee shop. As a society we use coffee as more than it’s source of caffeine. We use it as a social outlet, for business, and more. So why is coffee such a big thing and how will it will affect us in the future?

Caffeine has numerous effects on the body. The antioxidants are researched to be very good however the caffeine has a contrasting effect. It is said that more than 500 mg of caffeine a day can result in nervousness, insomnia, restlessness, upset stomach, racing heartbeat, muscle tremors, irritability and more. Most coffee drinkers are not drinking more or even close to 500 mg however that doesn’t mean smaller amounts are much better. It’s truly shocking the amount we, as a society, consume and the amount we spend on coffee. Americans consume about 146 billion cups of coffee each day. And the United States spends more than 4 billion dollars worth of imported coffee every year. Although coffee can be mildly addictive your body it does not completely depend on it as other addictive drugs do. So why would coffee drinkers rather give up their phone for a month than give up coffee for a month, or gain 10 pounds rather than give up coffee? Coffee is not something that is going to go out of trend any time soon but people should be aware of the negative impacts. Just because everyone drinks it doesn’t mean it’s necessarily good.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Coffee by Genevieve is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Emma 8 months ago

I think this is a really important topic since many people in the United states are drink Coffee everyday. I think it will be interesting to see what you take out of the research.

2. Saveina 8 months ago

It’s true that often times because there is an abundance of it, and it’s readily available anywhere people don’t really consider the harmful affects that coffee may have on the body. Although there has been plenty of research done on coffee, I believe it’s assumed that there are specific effects people know about and a general idea of what coffee does.

3. Alex 8 months ago

Nice research topic. It’s crazy to think about how much our society really relies on coffee. It is a huge source of revenue for farmers of the coffee bean, and the high up execs like those at Starbucks. Interested to see how big of an impact coffee has on the world.

4. Skylar 8 months ago

I really think this was a fantastic topic choice being that this has become a worldwide phenomenon and in certain cases coffee could even be considered a drug. People have become so reliant on caffeine to get through there day, the sleeping hours per person is decreasing and decreasing. This is having an immense impact on our health and it needs to be recognized. I really like where this is headed and hopefully sparks a realization that we need sleep!

5. Suzanna 9 months ago

I think this a good topic to research. Coffee is something that Americans drink almost everyday. I feel like there are many articles that are for and against coffee regarding if it is good for you or not. Have you researched both sides of the argument? What are your thoughts?