An algorithm, in its most basic form is an equation that given inputs, outputs a value. Algorithms are everywhere along with advanced machine learning. Google uses algorithms, so does Netflix and Amazon. The remarkable thing that happened last year with algorithms and machine learning was when a computer program beat one of the best Go players in the world. Go is the pinnacle of human invented games. There are more Go board configurations than there are atoms in the universe, so the computer could not simply calculate every possible move like in chess. What is the next step for machines? Turing theorized that a machine could eventually be capable of answer or solving any problem. This is what I would like to research for my research project, but there is a problem. Algorithms in machine learning is not simple.   It usually is graduate level. Anyone know where I can get good information on algorithms. I haven’t read a periodical that I have understood well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AlphaGo_versus_Lee_Sedol

CC BY-SA 4.0 Algorithms…. by Andrew is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Erin 9 months ago

I think this could be very intersting! I would definitely narrow down your topic, though, and focus on maybe on aspect of algorithms. For example, you could focus on how they have been used historically and how we have advanced to where we are at now. This is a very Andrew topic haha. I’m excited to see what you do with it.

Andrew 9 months ago

I’m thinking I will focus on AlphaGo or on the next step for machines.