My topic is on Superfoods. I chose this topic because I think it is an interesting subject. Living in America, which is one of the most obese countries, I was curious as to how to eat healthier. I recently received a cookbook that details how to prepare superfoods and in what quantities to consume them. I have a basic understanding of superfoods in that they are the best foods, created by nature, in order for one to have a balanced diet. They offer nutritional value that is rich in vitamins, essential oils, antioxidants, natural sugars, and protein. I also know that if consumed in the correct amounts, can substantially improve ones physical health and mental health. 

According to Live Science, superfoods don’t have their own food group, but they are given a special name because of the special health benefits they offer. They consist of plants, fruits, and fish; such as, kale, blueberries, beans and whole grains, salmon, dragon fruit, pomegranate, acai berry, spinach, broccoli, nuts and seeds, and mackerel. Each has its own list of items that improve one’s health, which consist of vitamins, essential oils, fatty acids, fiber, calcium, antioxidants, low-fat protein, and phytochemicals. According to Heal with Food, there are superberries and superfruits that offer a higher density of those previously mentioned. These should be eaten in moderation because they are full of natural sugar and protein and just because they are deemed “healthy” doesn’t mean one can eat a lot. Another criticism of superfoods is that due to it’s name, people tend to eat one superfood over another healthy food item, “Such as eating broccoli over asparagus”. A well balanced diet consists of mainly superfoods but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dismiss other healthy foods. These foods offer health benefits that don’t cure cancer, but are said to help stop the process of cancer.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Superfoods by Anna is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.