I have chosen to write about the effect that music has on our emotions. I am interested in this mainly because of my interest in film scores- they are so full of emotion. I've listened to them outside of the movies many times to get inspiration for art because they are so emotion filled. Music seems to have such an impact on people's moods- I am curious to know why, or how that sense developed.

According to The Scientific American, many people can relate music to movements. This is because we associate movements with sounds. In the article, they used the example of fast music and heavy drums reminds us of running, which makes us think: What are we running from? This causes anxiety and fear to be brought to the mind. Other articles I found 

(like this one here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4038858/) described the actual change in our brain chemicals and the way we think when we listen to different types of music.

CC BY-SA 4.0 How Music Affects Our Emotions by Alea is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Grace 11 months ago

Alea- this is an interesting topic to research. I think its interesting that you brought up the point that we relate music to movements. This is so true and I think this topic leaves a lot of room for study and research. Im interested to find out if there are studies directly correlating our emotions to the different music we listen to