We are quickly running out of fresh water in our world. It is said that by 2050, we will no longer have any fresh water because of “the Western world’s meat centered diet.” Although I am not currently vegetarian, I realize after doing this research I might become one. I find this topic interesting not because I have the mindset that we shouldn’t eat meat, but because I don’t think we should produce the meat we eat in the way we do.

According to BBC News, over 97% of the water on our planet is salt water. Of the 3% of fresh water that we have, over two-thirds of it is locked away in ice caps and glaciers. What is leftover from that is mostly trapped in our soil or simply in our underground aquifers. That being said, there is very little left for our civilization to use, not just for drinking water, but for the many other things we do every day that require this fresh water. A report by Reveal at The Center for Investigative Reporting “thinks one-third of the world’s population will be affected by fresh water scarcity by 2025, with the situation only becoming more dire thereafter and potentially catastrophic by 2050.”